Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
(October 24, 2016 at 12:15 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: While my gut would like to answer in the affirmative, reason compels me to be skeptical about my intuition.

That's good Smile

Quote: I'm curious about other peoples' thoughts on this?

That's great Smile

Quote: Do you think religion is peaceful?

Overall it's effect on the world? No. Individually: Fundamentalism, as far as I know, in all religions besides Jainism are harmful... due to the fundamentals of the religions. Even Buddhism... when taking too literally can be harmful when it comes to the concept of Karma.

Quote: Does it ultimately hold us back from creating a peaceful world?

Yes but I think it's because it's one form of dogma, jingoism, tribalism or group "Us and them" thinking. I think nationalism can be just as dangerous and hell... for example.

Quote: Or, even without religion, would we still find ways to be hostile to one another?

Yes I think irrationality and faith is the problem. DOGMA is the problem. That applied intensely to nationalism or Marxism or... any extremist view, doesn't have to be religious, without evidence and logic applied, can be dangerous I think. The problem is intense and passionate fanatical beliefs forced onto and imposed onto others, and if not accepted violence is taken. Whether that's religious, political or moralist: The problem is intense intolerance for other views that becomes violet "Wait, they don't agree with us? KILL THEM" -- whether that's religious, political or moralist or whatever... that's bad.

Quote: Can peace be obtained? What is your formula for peace?

Technology that gave everyone force fields so no one could harm anyone would be nice. Either that or there were no idiots to start a war in the first place... if everyone was a pacifist no one would have to defend themselves. Unfortunately defense is necessary. If it weren't necessary then there could be world peace.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? - by Edwardo Piet - November 1, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 6060 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A timeless being cannot create mcc1789 125 12339 August 29, 2019 at 1:01 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 990 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2075 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Humanity Ready for First Contact? Kernel Sohcahtoa 69 5796 October 16, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Athene
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2119 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23789 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 906 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Who create God? Little Rik 95 21847 December 12, 2013 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3544 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle