Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 2:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are public schools really like this now?
RE: Are public schools really like this now?
(July 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: When I went to school, I basically only needed to bring a notebook and a pencil.

My boyfriend raised a woman's child, because she considered him too troublesome to raise (he was almost done with high school when I met my boyfriend) and he considers my boyfriend his father.

So my boyfriend's "son" has kids of his own.  

This girl is starting her very first year of school, and the list of stuff she needs is ridiculous.

She needs baby wipes, paper towels, dry erasable pens, these items have to be a "specific" brand.

The notebooks have to be a certain color.

This is public school.  Wouldn't the school normally provide such things as paper towels and baby wipes and dry erasable pens?  

The only thing I can figure is that the school is depending on the parents to provide that which the school automatically should.
On the one hand, school funding has been cut - so they now depend on children bringing their own materials - on the other, our entire society has been bought by corporate interests...why does this surprise you?

(July 30, 2017 at 6:39 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: Then I found out that these weren't supplies for my daughter to keep in her desk and use during the school day, they were handed over to the teacher to do as she wished.
So I only buy a few things off the list that I know mu daughter needs and will use like a backpack and pencils. The rest like Kleenex, reams of paper and Clorox wipes can be supplied out of the teacher's or school's pockets. They also get a tax deduction for buying their supplies; parents don't

-Teresa

Yep, we're faced with a choice.  Buy the good shit or let our kids get strep.  So we buy the good shit.  School starts next week....the wife and I are dead broke buying shit for four classrooms.  No thanks, strep.  It's a good thing we're here, because these other parents are poor as shit, and we know it, because they all work for us. The clorox wipes are just better. School still treats us like white trash, because we "aint from round here, so they don't know us". Yeah, Cletus, we know we aint from round here. : sigh :

I hate to have to pull my privelege, but when they sent a dcf fucker to my house last year rather than acknowledge that they have an opiod problem....at their elementary school......because my kindergartener ended up with somebody else's pills in her backpack, I lawyered right the fuck up and made them release a public statement at the county board level. Now they avoid questioning my spawn. It didn't have to be like this, it shouldn't be like this.

/done venting
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Are public schools really like this now? - by Foxaèr - July 30, 2017 at 5:41 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by Losty - July 30, 2017 at 5:53 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by Losty - July 30, 2017 at 5:56 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by Losty - July 30, 2017 at 6:08 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by The Grand Nudger - July 30, 2017 at 10:45 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by henryp - July 30, 2017 at 11:18 pm
RE: Are public schools really like this now? - by Losty - July 30, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you say anything to anti maskers in public? Brian37 37 2505 January 6, 2021 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The proper way to breastfeed in public Foxaèr 21 1899 April 21, 2019 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Where do you stand on breastfeeding in public? Cod 74 8222 September 4, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Pooperintendant of Schools? Minimalist 14 1557 May 4, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3278 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Fartbook is really ticking me off right now. Brian37 0 616 November 16, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Banning Crosses from Public Schools Shining_Finger 30 3598 November 8, 2015 at 8:27 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Your Sentiments on Breast Feeding in Public Catholic_Lady 184 27138 September 22, 2015 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Public Toilet Strategies Catholic_Lady 75 10244 July 10, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: rado84
  A public announcement My imaginary friend is GOD 24 5589 March 27, 2014 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie