Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 9:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future.
RE: [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future.
(December 17, 2020 at 12:20 pm)Apollo Wrote:
(December 17, 2020 at 11:33 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I've gotta ask, what's the point?  Let's say that magic book did predict the future?  Are we supposed to join your club on account of that?  Is that what you think the problem is, Winter?  That, if only more people believed that magic books were crystal balls...there'd be more islamists and sharia in the world?  

I'd like to point out that a huge number of people already do believe that magic books are crystal balls, and still don't have any interest in joining your club.  I have even less interest than those people..and I suspect that the majority of the people here at AF are in that boat with me.

You couldn't go about this in a worse way if you tried - and that's why you've been failing.

No, I think he wants us to accept it for his own sake—it provides validation to his beliefs which usually most of the believers are inherently insecure about.

When more people believe in something you do, it gives strength to the belief which is otherwise standing on fragile stilts. This exercise is no more than strengthening his own self-justification—the more he looks around the more he sees a world different than from his belief system and this creates dissonance—the greater the dissonance (that is, reality is different than magic book) the greater the anxiety/pain.

To reduce that pain he needs to self-justify things that may not be true but still help to reduce the dissonance.

This.

(December 17, 2020 at 5:25 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(December 17, 2020 at 4:36 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: or that the revelations really came from some agent outside of him.

Yes Quran did come from outside of Mohammed, that is it mainly came from Jewish rabbis, and since Mohammed was illiterate he probably hang out with Jews a lot. The only prophets (with few exceptions) mentioned in the Quran are the Jewish prophets of the Hebrew Scriptures. The most important of these were Noah, Abraham, Jacob and, as one Quranic passage lists them, “David and Solomon, Job and Joseph and Moses and Aaron . . . Zacharias and John, Jesus and Elias . . . and Ishmael, Elisha, Jonah and Lot” (6:84–87).

What I don't understand about the Mohammed mythos is his supposed illiteracy. He was a merchant, a class of peeople for whom some ability to read and write would have been an advantage back in the day.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. - by GUBU - December 18, 2020 at 5:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 89 4254 May 1, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 60 5168 September 22, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 9879 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Quranic Reflection]: The Aten. WinterHold 35 3082 June 10, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  [Quranic Reflection]: the sound of hell. WinterHold 13 1603 April 18, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Quranic reflection]: Homosexuality is nothing but Sexual Gratification. WinterHold 58 4576 March 27, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part V, objects never leave hell. WinterHold 40 3319 January 5, 2023 at 11:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part IV: the noodle effect. WinterHold 21 2276 November 25, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20758 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1458 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon