Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions
RE: The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions
(November 19, 2023 at 10:00 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well shit Tim, you appear to know so little about the subject that I wonder whether you ought to be reading or writing?

All I asked was for you to give examples of this “shitting on discovery”. It’s weird that you keep avoiding this simple and reasonable request. I can’t discuss this until I know precisely what you’re talking about.

Quote:You cant expect anyone to take you seriously if you want to litigate such basic facts of mere reality.

“Litigate”? No. But you do need to explain what these “facts” you’re referring to are.

Quote:Where you don't pretend to draw an absolute blank at the notion of the church as a gatekeeping force in western history, because you're doing real history.

They were pretty active in gatekeeping theological orthodoxy. But not “discoveries”. Which is why you’re working so hard to wriggle away from my quite reasonable request for any examples of the latter.

Quote:Say you spent an hour explaining to silly atheists that the church didn't burn people for one absurd reason, but for another absurd reason, what do you think you will have accomplished.

Accuracy. It’s a key element in rational and objective historical analysis.
Tim O'Neill

History for Atheists - New Atheists Getting History Wrong

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions - by TimOneill - November 19, 2023 at 11:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secret hiding place for ancient christians Foxaèr 20 2444 May 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2043 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The bible and ancient history. Lemonvariable72 66 12876 December 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 4931 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ' Gooders1002 82 27287 April 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Mark Fulton
Tongue Apologetics was much more efficient in ancient times Tea Earl Grey Hot 19 8743 September 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Great Virgin Mother Isis - Ancient Mythology is not a Cheeseburger michaelsherlock 13 7859 June 12, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock