Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'
Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'
Quote:Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public.
American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com).
http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm
Well how do you like them apples? Also I do not believe this is the end of Christianity but it may bring out those who are not completely close minded or are unsure of their faith.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'
Easy.

Either the god planted the evidence to test faith, or this is the devil's doing to confuse.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 9, 2013 at 10:33 am)Ivy Wrote: Easy.

Either the god planted the evidence to test faith, or this is the devil's doing to confuse.

I know that hard core ones will say that but those less sure will question their faith.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Oh how I wish those confessions were true but I'd have to see definite evidence before putting credence into them.

Even though it's fairly evident that the early Catholic church picked and chose which books to include or exclude in the bible, Christians still drone on about it being the "unchanging word of God."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
This reminds of all those scifi/other-world novels/movies scenarios where you have an entire civilization blindly believing in something and sacrificing their lives/freedom because of this belief. And then the protagonist has to tell everyone that what they believe isn't true and he/she can prove it, and everyone regains their freedom and can do anything they like with their lives.

But of course this isn't going to go down that way.
Bugger me - this should be good.

Of course we will all have to see the quality of his evidence before making a decision. A little bit suspicious that he has a book to hawk.....
(October 9, 2013 at 10:05 am)Gooders1002 Wrote:
Quote:Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public.
American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ. His presentation will be part of a one-day symposium entitled "Covert Messiah" at Conway Hall in Holborn (full details can be found at http://www.covertmessiah.com).
http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm
Well how do you like them apples? Also I do not believe this is the end of Christianity but it may bring out those who are not completely close minded or are unsure of their faith.
Until Oct 19, there aren't any apples to like or dislike. Interesting how people who claim to require evidence assume this is true before the evidence is presented (with the exception of DT).
We forget who we are talking about here. Facts bounce off of these people, so they will have a 1000 documentarys debunking it in a week, just like they do with evolution.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 9, 2013 at 10:05 am)Gooders1002 Wrote: Well how do you like them apples? Also I do not believe this is the end of Christianity but it may bring out those who are not completely close minded or are unsure of their faith.

It's been pretty well established that Mormonism and the Church of Scientology started out as frauds, but do you really think that's stopped the growth of those two churches?

(October 9, 2013 at 11:41 am)John V Wrote: Until Oct 19, there aren't any apples to like or dislike. Interesting how people who claim to require evidence assume this is true before the evidence is presented (with the exception of DT).

Also, I looked up Joseph Atwill, and the claim that he's found hard evidence that Jesus was invented by the Romans as a way to pacify the Jewish uprisings seems almost too good to be true. On a little more research, I found out he published a book on the subject years ago... on CreateSpace.

If he really uncovered evidence that the Romans created the Jesus myth out of full cloth, which would almost certainly be the most illuminating find in Christian religious history since the Dead Sea Scrolls, doesn't it seem odd that he couldn't get a book deal from a publisher that wasn't amazon.com's vanity publishing arm?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Atwill is a crackpot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 1885 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions Leonardo17 67 4136 November 22, 2023 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4040 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 7940 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3044 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3157 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1393 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3354 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2775 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  What do invented saints tell us about Christianity? Fake Messiah 132 11823 November 22, 2019 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah