Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought
My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought
He told us a few weeks ago about the Crucifixion and Hell. Today he told us that beyond science there is belief and that at the Eucharist the vine and bread become literally the blood and flesh of Christ. he also said that is our choice if we believe or not, but what we'll choose will have consequences.
He's still more competent than my last teacher though.
He's not a bad person, besides religion he seems to think logical. I really hate religion for what it is doing to people. 
People like my mom, who follow a religion just for comfort without really believing, seem kind of selfish to me. They support this bullshit who is clearly damaging the society without any regret.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought
(November 16, 2017 at 1:11 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: He told us a few weeks ago about the Crucifixion and Hell. Today he told us that beyond science there is belief and that at the Eucharist the vine and bread become literally the blood and flesh of Christ. he also said that is our choice if we believe or not, but what we'll choose will have consequences.
Yeah..like whether or not a modicum of self respect remains within you after having swallowed -that- koolaid.   Rolleyes

Quote:He's still more competent than my last teacher though.
He's not a bad person, besides religion he seems to think logical. I really hate religion for what it is doing to people. 
Oh, they never are.  OTOH< true evil comes with a pleasant face....I'm sure they'll get around to teaching you that when they tell you about the demons.  

Quote:People like my mom, who follow a religion just for comfort without really believing, seem kind of selfish to me. They support this bullshit who is clearly damaging the society without any regret.
The message was designed to appeal to the basest element, and it's had centuries of focus groups and refinement since then.  Don't blame her, blame the asshole that conned her. If cons didn't work there wouldn't be any conmen in the world.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 16, 2017 at 1:16 pm)Khemikal Wrote: The message was designed to appeal to the basest element, and it's had centuries of focus groups and refinement since then.  Don't blame her, blame the asshole that conned her.  If cons didn't work there wouldn't be any conmen in the world.

I know that she didn't choose to be christian and that she lived with christians all her life, but I think that people can be selfish without realising it.

Charlie Chaplin
Sure, I'd even go so far as to suggest that most of what we do isn't consciously motivated. That;s actually how cons work in the first place. They leverage human compulsion.

The christian religion isn;t much different from an airport scam. It works on implication and reciprocity. The believer is implicated in crimes they did not knowingly commit, and then entreated to return in kind through reciprocity by the solid favor of christ in bailing them out of those very same crimes. Everybody wins..it seems like a good deal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Murder is commonplace, even if people hear a lot about hell... And we turn a blind eye on that cancer, to stay sane... Believes are nothing compared to hell on earth which is crime and drugs.
(November 16, 2017 at 1:11 pm)Die Atheistin Wrote: He told us a few weeks ago about the Crucifixion and Hell. Today he told us that beyond science there is belief and that at the Eucharist the vine and bread become literally the blood and flesh of Christ. he also said that is our choice if we believe or not, but what we'll choose will have consequences.
People like my mom, who follow a religion just for comfort without really believing, seem kind of selfish to me. They support this bullshit who is clearly damaging the society without any regret.

Did you ask him if you induce vomiting immediately after what would be found? Jesus flesh could be sold for a pretty penny. Of course you'd have to clean it up a little.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:Today he told us that beyond science there is belief and that at the Eucharist the vine and bread become literally the blood and flesh of Christ.

He's an asshole or a liar.
(November 16, 2017 at 1:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Today he told us that beyond science there is belief and that at the Eucharist the vine and bread become literally the blood and flesh of Christ.

He's an asshole or a liar.

Can he be both?

Charlie Chaplin
Sure.

[Image: 1549q1.jpg]

Belief != fact. Where's the laboratory experiments?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Current Evolution of Ancient Religious Institutions Leonardo17 67 4139 November 22, 2023 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. onlinebiker 3 1090 December 27, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 29328 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 17444 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My religious teacher will become a father Der/die AtheistIn 48 9600 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 9947 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18625 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  God isn't all powerful dyresand 14 2385 January 31, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Hell isn't scary dyresand 71 9047 June 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Lek
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1280 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am
Last Post: vorlon13