Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
(April 22, 2012 at 6:50 am)Christian Wrote: The problem is that if you believe there is no evidence for God's existence, it would be difficult to attempt to present any evidence to you at all.

I do not believe there is no evidence for God's existence. On the contrary, if he exists, then I reasonably expect there to be evidence.

I have not seen any, ergo, I find the existence of a supernatural deity highly improbable.

If you have evidence to present, I am happy to accept it. The problem is, that people like yourself have a extremely low bar for evidence. I.e. The bible says there is a god, therefore there is a god.

Quote:After all, your presupposition is that "there has never been a shred of evidence" presented.

In order to refute that presupposition, you realise you need to present a shred of evidence I have dismissed irrationally

Quote:Undoubtedly, any evidence that might be presented for God would be evidence that must be dismissed because, as atheists like you say "there has never been a shred of evidence" for God's existence.

MUST be dismissed? Why would I do that? I don't adher to an understanding of the world based on private subjective assertions, unlike yourself.
If there is evidence, I am a freethinking individual who will look at the evidence presented, and decide if it has merit.

The only presupposition here, is that evidence would be dismissed.

Undoubtedly, any evidence that might be presented for Zeus would be evidence that must be dismissed because, as christians like you say "there has never been a shred of evidence" for Zeus's existence.

Quote:So essentially the atheist is saying he wants people to provide him with evidence but it doesn't matter what evidence they provide because he will dismiss it automatically - an action consistent with his belief that "there has never been a shred of evidence" for God's existence.

Now, you're simply lying to comfort yourself in a delusion that atheists are as irrational as yourself.

Does it make you feel better? To try an convince yourself that atheists are "believers in a faith", that atheism is a religion just like Islam, Scientology, etc
You want to be able to assert so badly, that we adher to an irrational belief system like yours, which dismisses all evidence to the contrary.

Do you sleep more soundly thinking that evidence is whatever you want it to be, and denial of what you consider evidence is merely adherance to dogmatic belief, to the exclusion of what is considered to be a sound basis for ascertaining truth in a claim?

When that nagging string of doubt plucks at you, do you convince yourself that the burden of proof must be shared, because you want it to be true so badly, and denial of it hurts your ego that what you claim must be true, it must be true, it must be true and those who deny it, are only doing it to spite your little world.

When trying to discuss the existence of your God, do you console yourself again and again, that when challenged to back up your private belief with evidence, you beleive anything you present will be denied, on the basis of assertion in his non-existence, and is therefore pointless to present.

I hit the point home hard, because what you propose is that we refuse to listen to any evidence presented, when in reality, it is simply a case of defining what is reasonable to accept as true.

The only assertion I make, is that there are methods of usefully ascertaining reality as we perceive it, given naturalist and empirical methodology.
Mythology does not give us a reasonable measure of reality, given what we understand about the universe. If you wish to accept mythology as fact, thats up to you, but it is sheer arrogance to demand that others accept that as a method of discerning truth.

Maybe I've got you wrong, and you have a reasonable measure of reality which leads inevitably to a probable conclusion of deity, we're happy to hear it. The denial of the existence of such evidence however, is based upon a more reasonable expectation for a statement of truth than self-authenticating private belief, an old book and "my pastor told me..."
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true - by NoMoreFaith - April 22, 2012 at 7:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6042 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3376 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 714 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5275 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17120 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6605 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1009 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 26367 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19229 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7271 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico