Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 12:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
Mine would be the massive body of evidence we do have about gods, and how none of it has anything to do with any "immaterial agent" of any kind whatsoever in any case. This, set beside our demonstrated explanations for the vast majority of what these gods are said to be/do/provide. Both of these things again supported by my refusal to plug a weasel word like "god" into whatever gap one wishes to invoke and then claim as truth or knowledge.

At no point has the idea of a god ever held merit. At no point has anyone been able to demonstrate that this baseless assertion has any relevance, value, or meaning to our existence in and of itself (the believer must supply all of those things from their own personal stores). At no point has the "god" explanation ever explained anything at all. It is completely and utterly useless.

On top of all of this......I also do not believe, have never believed, and barring these issues above being dealt with in an intelligent and thorough manner, I will never believe. To take this a step further, (since at this point I have only given reasons for my atheism) my anti-theism stems from the dry appraisal that if those issues above were handled in such a manner, I would still not bend my knee to the gods proposed by the faithful. It would no longer be an issue of belief, it would be an issue of my own personal sense of morality and goodness. I could not, in good conscience, sell out to the tiny little things they worship, even if the reward were infinite fucking paradise. Similarly, the devout earth-kissers who hold these imaginary creatures up as paragons of whatever may be important to them seem no different to me than the faeries they invoke as their masters. Before anyone feels that I am being too specific, it isn't just the christian god that would be designated as worthless and hostile by my metrics, but all gods. Creator gods, indifferent gods, anything at all that would be worthy of the title of "god" that for whatever reason. Simple things that I ascribe absolutely no moral value to in light of our natural existence take on a completely different shade of terrible the moment we invoke the supernatural.

Is that the sort of explanation that a theist might be looking for? Because I think I've offered it often enough, and I'm pretty sure that it is completely ignored or dismissed every time that I have. So......

Blueberry waffles (easily as strong an "explanation" as god...for anything, and as a bonus, I can show you one if you like).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true - by The Grand Nudger - April 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6076 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3384 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 714 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5276 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17138 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6617 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1009 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 26418 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19240 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7273 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico