Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus
RE: The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus
(November 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm)John V Wrote: There's a number in gJohn. Most skeptics acknowledge that. I and the Father are one, You have seen me, you have seen the Father are the first two that pop to mind.
Yeah, but "I and my Father are one" does not necessarily mean that they are one in substance.

If you look at some of the other verses (in the same Gospel), their context implies a different meaning of John 10:30 from what you're arguing.

This is what I read in one article:
Quote:John 10:30

"I and my Father are one."

This verse does not say that they are "same being." This text does not say how they are one at all. Fortunately for us, John later records Jesus' teaching on how He and his Father are one. "And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as (kathos) we are...Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as (kathos) thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as (kathos) we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me" (John 17:11, 20-23).

Jesus here makes clear that his disciples can be one even as (kathos) He and his Father are one. The Greek kathos means just as or how (See Strong's). In other words, Jesus prayed that they may be one just as He and his Father are one. If Jesus and his Father are one being manifest in two persons, for Jesus' prayer to be fulfilled his disciples must loose their identity and become absorbed into the Trinity! Assuming that a Billion or more will be saved (just for fun)--what will that make? A "Billinity"?

So how are Jesus and his Father one, according to Jesus? The key is in verse 22: "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that (hina) they may be one, even as we are one." The Greek word hina translated "that" literally means in order that (See Strong's). Jesus and his Father share the same glory and are thus one. Jesus prayed that his disciples may receive Their glory in order that they may be one with Them.

There is no other passage of scripture in the Bible that defines how Jesus and his Father are one. The later post-Biblical doctrine that define the Trinity as one being in three persons is not derived from the Bible but is added to it.

http://strongreasons.blogspot.com/2008/0...futed.html

Messages In This Thread
The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus - by Rayaan - November 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm
RE: The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus - by Rayaan - November 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 677 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9572 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  More Christian denominations than bible verses Dolorian 26 5801 November 6, 2014 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Drich
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7354 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Neat combination of verses. Mystic 16 5547 September 14, 2012 at 12:44 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Pointing out Christian's Tendencies to Cherry Pick Verses is Fun Handprint 3 1746 December 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Xavier
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7455 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Favorite Bible Verses theVOID 24 6544 September 2, 2010 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Thor
  Badass Bible Verses darkwolf176 2 4050 May 17, 2010 at 9:36 am
Last Post: John_S3V