Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications.
RE: Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications.
(January 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(January 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: No place for probability in science mmmh

I see you're as honest in representing me as you are in representing Dawkins.

I never said there is no place for probability in science. If you're going to paraphrase try: Whether God can be part of a scientific theory is a matter of the definitions of 'God' and 'scientific theory', not probability.

I'm losing faith in your good faith.

(January 3, 2013 at 4:40 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: So is a Scientific Theory a fact?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

The theist treats "theory" differently than a scientist when they use it. Much like they twist the word "natural" as being always happy and magical, when all "natural" means in the scientific community is "an observation".

Evolution is as much scientific fact as gravity and entropy. They just cant stand that some people do not feel the need to sex up reality to comic book levels.

(January 3, 2013 at 4:12 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: . Even the chosen people had to endure 40 days in the desert before they got to the promised land.

Someone else thought his people were chosen and 6 million other's died because of that, actually when you take into account all the military and civilian deaths WW2 caused the deaths of 50 million people. All because of the stupid trope humans perpetuate.

There is no "chosen people", there is merely our evolutionary flaw of narcissism that allows humans to create groups to claim how "special" they are.

"Promised land, is as stupid as father land, or mother land or even here in the states I hate our country using "homeland". We are first and foremost humans. Our clubs and labels are merely our personal predilections we use to create a stupid contrast to merely make ourselves "feel special".

Evolution was around before our current myths and boarders and evolution will continue after we die.

On a psychological level we have to "feel special" on an evolutionary sense because that natural drive pushes us to reproduce. But the negative affect is that it causes in our species "in group" vs "out groups".

I hate that term "chosen people". I see life without comic book goggles on. I see nothing wrong as seeing oneself as unique, and certainly we as individuals are special to our friends and family, but in our species entire history we are still ultimately temporary blips on the evolutionary scale.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Dawkins and Tyson say that and what are the implications. - by Brian37 - January 3, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1467 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3690 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1510 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Disproving God Mechaghostman2 158 31695 July 14, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 7590 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2472 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 824 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2413 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11733 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5797 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer