Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already
(June 12, 2013 at 8:32 am)John V Wrote: Your positions seem to be inconsistent. At the end of the post, you say “By the way, if *YOU* want to pick up either gauntlet or both, you are welcome to.” Similarly, you taunted others for not responding to two links you posted. But, if you consider the issue debunked and are not interested in any further discussion on such issues, there’s no point in other responding.

OK, I'll go slow.

"I'm not interested in re-hashing the same debate where nothing new is offered. I've already debunked these arguments. Here's the link."

"I've followed your link and read your post. Here's where you made some mistakes... (counter-arguments to the linked post ensue)."

"Ah, *now* we have something new to discuss..."

Clear?

Your challenge is to find the weakness in this post that no other Christian could. Good luck.

Quote:I agree that linking to external material and quoting a relevant section is appropriate. I disagree that linking to an internal discussion without quoting the pertinent material (the practice we’re actually discussing) is the same as linking to external material and quoting a relevant section.

Ah, yes, because clicking on a link is just so hard.

Btw, I'd taken your advice and accordingly modified my approach in this thread, copying and quoting my post, hoping Ronedee would be able to offer something of substance.

It didn't work.

The reply was a bare assertion and a repeated appeal to ridicule despite being advised against using these logical fallacies.

And you Christians wonder why you aren't taken seriously?

Quote:First, as noted above, how or why would I pick up such a gauntlet when you’ve stated you’re not interested in further discussion on the topic?

Perhaps I need to clarify. I'm not interested in further discussion until you've addressed how I've already thoroughly debunked the argument you're using.

Quote:Second, as others have since noted, your opinion of victory is just that – your opinion. Sometimes both sides walk away believing they had the upper hand, or thinking that the matter is still open.

When one side either runs away, abandoning a formal debate, it's a concession. When one side can only offer fallacies, that side has lost. And most readers who aren't indoctrinated will be able to see that.

Quote:Is this a general rule, that if someone stops replying they’ve conceded?
In a formal debate, as the one I had on the historicity of the Gospels, yes.

Quote:All of AIG. Have fun!

False comparison.

Linking to a post =/= linking to an entire forum and website.

Seriously, try creating a new post where you link to an AIG article and present it as a great argument against evolution and see how it works out for you.

Quote:No, you inferred that.
And here's your chance to clear up the confusion. What are you saying?

Quote:
Quote: I could care less what you do or don't accept. I leave such determinations to the reader.
Either you’re lying about that, as you haven’t polled the readers on all threads for which you claim victory; or, you’re relying on the fact that opponents of Christianity form a majority on this board and are likely to agree with you, which is an argumentum ad populum.
Or perhaps I was just saying that your opinions aren't important to me.

Quote:No, I’ll point out that, even if you beat a single Christian, that hardly counts as debunking the position.
And here's your chance to pick up the gauntlet and succeed where the other Christian failed. Do it for Jesus!
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already - by DeistPaladin - June 12, 2013 at 9:09 am
RE: Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already - by Palko - June 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8293 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15750 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  How Do Christians Know When God Is Speaking to Them? Rhondazvous 70 10577 July 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 32466 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4283 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3838 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52862 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What's the most face-palm-worthy statement you have ever heard from a priest/preacher drfuzzy 150 30500 August 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Heard about this snake idiocy before abaris 28 6877 July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Loving Him means loving "them" Strider 9 3013 February 21, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman