Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 1:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
(November 18, 2013 at 9:30 am)Tonus Wrote: The fact that the accounts are similar on many of the main points yet vary on the details does not, to me, strike me as out of the ordinary for the circumstances described.
Yes I think on that point most of us would agree. I would just add to that "not out of the ordinary for separate testimonies".
Quote:The event that they describe is the issue, and if we were to consider it for any other person than Jesus, it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a plausible explanation that does not involve a resurrection or the appearance of supernatural beings.
What we have as written record, I believe written from c. 45-48 AD (which is just a couple of years from the event), but regardless of when the records are written - even if Mark is written in 55 AD or 65 AD, it doesn't change the fact that what we have in the gospels is an early narrative that goes right back to the contemporary accounts. Even more so if you're willing to say that John the Apostle penned his own Gospel (that'd be first hand and why his account is more different than the others).
Quote:I think too much is made of the discrepancies in the details of a group of stories whose most critical points are made third-hand and from memories of events that are at least more than a decade past. It is pretty easy to piece together a more plausible story from what is written. Nor is it difficult to imagine motivations for inventing such a story.
Yes there could be motivations for inventing such a story, however one has to ask the question if it was invented then why didn't the Romans simply produce the rotting corpse to thwart the early Christian movement? The problem if it was invented is that it'd leave some trace - either the Romans would have had the body or the disciples would have had it, or the Jews - somebody had to have the body, if it was not in the tomb, so who had it?

(November 18, 2013 at 9:41 am)max-greece Wrote: John, of course, has the weakest case mainly due to the duration of time between the events and his writing putting him generations away from the action. He further doesn't help his case by citing a fishing story (surely the weakest miracle ever described) in his, unique to him version.
That's an assumption. As I've discussed John could have been written as early as 55 AD assuming that Peter had already died by that time, and certainly doesn't have to be written later than 70AD (it doesn't even contain anything to do with the prophecy of the siege of Jerusalem). We do not know exactly when it's written, but it's pretty clear to anyone that it was written by the apostle John, making it an eyewitness account and therefore a trustworthy source.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Aractus - November 18, 2013 at 10:05 am
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:30 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20172 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16062 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 14588 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4513 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6297 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 6387 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8921 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7302 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15955 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2757 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0