Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
(December 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm)xpastor Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 11:01 am)rightcoaster Wrote: ... I don't think it diminishes my original hypothesis: temporary entombment to get past Yom Tov and Shabbat, then disentombment ASAP and interment. ...
I am agnostic on the subject of whether Jesus' body was placed in a rock cut tomb. ... However, to me the story of Joseph of Arimethea providing his own tomb has the air of a made-up story, and even more so the posting of a Roman guard at the tomb.

One alternative to the tomb story is that the Romans simply left the body up as they did with most crucifixion victims, and then buried it in the earth, in which case the tomb story was later worked up to support the resurrection claim.

I think your take on the ex-post evolution of the did-steal/did-not-steal is pretty good -- make it into a Houdini-escape situation, seal and guard and all.

The problem with leaving the corpse on the cross as food for scavengers is that this would have made it quite impossible for Jews, with the horror over the explicit curse associated with such a fate, to have remained followers, and for any new Jewish followers to have been recruited. I can't imagine that the corpse could have been thus left, Dom Crossan's view notwithstanding, and that the NT cover story could have been fabricated so quickly, completely, and effectively that the horrible truth would have been utterly suppressed. That implies a collective lie, a conspiracy of lies among the immediate followers, which is impossible to credit.

That's why I favor the notion that the Jewish authorities did ask for and were able to get the corpse for a proper, curse-free Jewish burial (the hurried temporary entombment a necessary pre-Shabbat expedient) ; and that therefore the crime for which Jesus was executed was not sedition or treason, in which cases the corpse would have been left up as part of the example-setting for which crucifixion was employed. This conclusion follows from the rest of my "passion" scenario, which is that the crimes were 100% the property crimes and batteries against the moneychangers/birdsellers and the gross insult to the Temple cultic practice. But that's another thread ....

(December 27, 2013 at 8:01 am)Aractus Wrote:
(December 23, 2013 at 10:53 pm)rightcoaster Wrote: I'm very disappointed, and have no more time for you.
Look, there's no love lost. You've ignored the meat of my argument - yet again - although i did do my best to address yours. You ignored everything I said about Mary's age, and you also ignored everything to do with Isaiah 7:14, you didn't even try to explain to me why I should disregard a well-regarded Hebrew dictionary.

I conceded that Mary must have been between 13-19, but 13-19 or 13-99, does not matter: nobody knew the state of her hymen, and if she was a betulah at 19 she was an unmitigated beast. But that is irrelevant, anyway.

As for Is 7, it is you who have failed to read and understand that the entire story makes utterly zero sense if the almah is not already pregnant. Isaiah is speaking to Ahaz, and he is predicting imminent doom. The imminence is utterly lost on Ahaz if the dolly is a virgin, merely of marriageable age. That is, the story is impossibly vague, stupid, not worth recording at all, if she is just a girl standing around. She must be already visibly pregnant for that story to make sense. However, once written five hundred years previously, it makes for a great source for text-mining, and that is how the gospel-author used it, as part of his larger fiction.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:30 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 16, 2013 at 10:27 am
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by rightcoaster - December 27, 2013 at 10:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20150 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16045 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 14551 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4511 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6291 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 6369 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8907 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7299 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15938 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2756 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0