Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
(October 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(October 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Fair enough. But if these people are running this marriage service as a private business and not as a non-profit, they should follow the anti-discrimination business rules that everyone else has to follow. If they're a non-profit church, then of course they can't be forced to perform same-sex marriage.

I can't say I much like the Knapps' belief system. It's abhorrent (many religious beliefs are). And they are in violation of Idaho's anti-discrimination laws. The question is whether the the First Amendment, the RFRA, or other law gives them an out because of their religious beliefs.

This not like baking a cake for a wedding, or renting an apartment. The Knapps would actually be preforming a ceremony that they consider blasphemy. I think they have a case. I don't see that whether they are for profit or not matters to the RFFA or First Amendment.

Well, again I never brought up RFRA or the first amendment, just anti-discrimination laws. This idea isn't novel to this case though, there have been plenty of cases (like the wedding cakes and apartments that you mentioned) in which people have been forced to do something against their religion. I'm not sure what's so special about this ceremony, because I can guarantee the wedding cake people were just as vehement about their faith as this wedding ceremony business. They'd have a case about as powerful as the wedding cake people, because they're selling a product. Could they worm their way into an exception? Maybe.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings - by FatAndFaithless - October 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3393 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 33219 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hey Jared! Do You Know What "Sweet Cheeks" Means In Jail? Minimalist 8 1035 January 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Joods
  This Piece of Orange Shit Belongs In Jail Minimalist 86 8994 October 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pre-op lesbian place in male jail BrokenQuill92 2 1215 February 13, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Rot in jail! Something completely different 17 3402 August 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  China: Visit your parents or go to jail Faith No More 3 1426 July 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Berlosconi sentenced to 4 years in jail Something completely different 12 5361 October 27, 2012 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Something completely different