Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 2:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Evidence is subjective. Obviously, there is enough evidence to convince me...so what evidence YOU think is sufficient enough FOR you is entirely up to YOU...but as for me, I am very much convinced...about 99.9% convinced

(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Again, these are the rules we play by in every area of life outside your favorite religious beliefs. Otherwise, you would be compelled to consider countless possibilities that you have no time to consider.

I agree...but I am convinced by the evidence that was presented to me, I can't speak for anyone else.

(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: A man who hears voices or speaks to people who aren't there is considered to be crazy.

You don't know whether the man is hearing the voices or not, bruh. You can't rule out whether he is, and you can't rule out whether he isn't...you can assume he is crazy all you want, but you just don't know...so instead of just withholding judgement, you want to make unjustified assertions....since when is it ok to pass judgement when you are ignorant of the facts?

(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: It's not required that we prove the voices aren't real unseen spirits or that there isn't an invisible bunny rabbit to put such a man away.

Yes it is required. Again, you don't know whether or not the man is hearing the voices. You don't know...so how can you call the man crazy if you don't know whether or not he is hearing the voices. Suppose the man is hearing the voices?? Is he crazy if he is actually hearing voices? No, he isn't. So you are fallaciously begging the question.

You are rushing to judgement without knowing all the facts.

(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: It's called "the null hypothesis". X is assumed to not exist until proven otherwise.

Bullshit. The truth value or X' existence is independent of whether or not X' existence can be proven. The safe approach would be to just say "I don't know", or "maybe, maybe not"...but to take a stand either on the pro side or the con side is bullshit.

(December 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: It is always within the bounds of rational skepticism to say "X doesn't exist" where there is no evidence for X. Those who believe in X are compelled to provide evidence for X's existence. Saying "Oh yeah, well prove X doesn't exist" is a classic shifting of the burden of proof.

The burden of proof is on anyone that is making the positive claim...if an atheist say "There is no God", that is a positive claim which requires proof...it is just as much as a positive claim for an atheist to say "There is no God" than it is for a believer to say "There is a God"...both are claims of knowledge, and both requires proof.

The safe approach would be to just simply says "I have no good reasons to believe in God, therefore, I don't believe in God"...or, "I have good reasons to believe in God, therefore, I believe in God".

Some atheists make positive claims and STILL maintain that they don't have to back up their positive claims with evidence, and it takes a person like me who has seen all the bullshit before to call them out on it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Exian - December 12, 2014 at 12:34 am
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Spooky - December 14, 2014 at 12:01 am
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Cato - December 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Cato - December 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm
RE: MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) - by His_Majesty - December 16, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 2378 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4650 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8106 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3261 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3448 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1487 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3559 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2866 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16103 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2063 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda