Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transubstantiation 'miracle' shenanigans
RE: Transubstantiation 'miracle' shenanigans
(May 14, 2015 at 3:48 pm)Hatshepsut Wrote:
(May 13, 2015 at 11:28 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The assertion that this is what actually happens is patently ridiculous. Just saying "Jeebus says" carries no weight. You have made a claim that cannot be tested. You say the bread and wine changes, but its physical characteristics are not altered. By what measure has it changed, then?

Perhaps ridiculous to you, yet invoking Christ carries weight in a theological context. The measure in question is theological. Now, we're not going to rush the USDA beef carcass inspectors in to examine the host after the priest consecrates it. Good thing. But for whatever theological reasons they have, transubstantiation makes sense to Catholics.

Indeed, Carson has linked it to Jesus' use of a nominal sentence in "this is my body." English can use nominal sentences to denote either representation or identity; our language doesn't mark the verb "to be" for identity, in the way that Latin marks "sum." If Catholic theology was relying on the Latin Vulgate, the identity sense of the verb would be much stronger than what English conveys with "is."

Yeah, gotta call bullshit on that. If a claim can be asserted in reality, it can be tested in reality. If the Bible says that bats are birds, that does not make it true just because the Bible says so. I can call bullshit on any claim that can be tested. So if you claim that a cracker turns into Jesus when a pedophile says some words to it, but nothing about it physically or chemically changes, then I can call that a phenomenally moronic claim. And I do.

Randy, if you are going to accuse someone of not using logic, you had better step your game up.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Messages In This Thread
Transubstantiation 'miracle' shenanigans - by Longhorn - May 11, 2015 at 4:59 pm
RE: Transubstantiation 'miracle' shenanigans - by SteelCurtain - May 14, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the lamest "miracle"? Thor 32 6507 November 23, 2022 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1765 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Miracle of the Sun. Jehanne 9 1453 August 20, 2018 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Miracle Spring water Joods 24 3831 June 27, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Communion/transubstantiation question vorlon13 15 2064 December 2, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The undeniable miracle at Fatima pabsta 582 157466 August 19, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Another fake Catholic miracle. Jehanne 96 20126 August 11, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  You Can't Disprove a Miracle Rhondazvous 155 17064 March 18, 2016 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Proof of a Miracle? TrueChristian 13 4312 December 19, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11378 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut