Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument?
RE: Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument?
(July 17, 2015 at 6:18 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(July 17, 2015 at 5:35 am)robvalue Wrote: If I had to pick an argument which is the nearest thing to convincing, I'd go with the fine tuning argument. It's about 0.01% convincing, whereas every other argument I've ever heard is firmly at 0%.

Rob, even that one is complete and utter bullshit IMHO..

Think of it like the puddle story...
How can the water fit perfectly in this hole ... It must've been made for it!

If you reverse engineer the fine tuning argument, it's the same thing.

2 Scenarios:

1) squillions of big bangs have been going off for an eternity, but because "things" (new universal laws) weren't tuned, they fizzed out quickly.
(Except the one that was tuned properly) That's us. Only us.

2) All physical universes can only ever develop one set of laws ...It's in the dna of every quark!
The universe uses fractal logic as a normal phenomenon. It's everywhere. Trees. Galaxies, etc
We will find some patterns naturally occurring ...this is normal... Let's not become John Nash over this (A Beautiful Mind)

my 2c (less tax)
I agree, it is complete and utter bullshit, hence the very low convincing percentage Smile I gave it a nonzero amount because it does evoke a very small kind of emotional response in me, whereas none of the others do. But I know it is an utterly irrational argument, and my emotional response means nothing. If I was an irrational person, I could kind of understand how that emotion could whisk me away.

It's just me being honest about my personal reaction to the argument.

Edit: extra bit!

Here is a problem with all religions relying on a text. Assume for a minute it was actually dictated by "a god". So what? That doesn't mean it's accurate, or of any use at all. To think otherwise is to assume that a god can't/won't dictate a load of shit. Why would you assume that? How can you possibly understand the motivations of a god? The only way to find out if it's true or useful it to analyse it ourselves.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument? - by SamS - July 17, 2015 at 2:02 am
RE: Honest Question to Atheists - Best Argument? - by robvalue - July 17, 2015 at 6:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 21507 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3484 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 6030 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4931 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A hypothetical question for Atheists and Christians dyresand 13 4822 July 12, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Be honest, am I going to hell for "my" atheism? LivingNumbers6.626 156 22971 April 12, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The honest truth of it? Watson 43 20465 May 28, 2010 at 6:26 am
Last Post: tackattack