Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus
The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus
As far as I know, Christians believe that Jesus was a man, but they also believe that he was God at the same time (or "God in flesh"). So in that regard, they believe that when Jesus was crucified on a cross, it was actually God who was taking on the sins of billions of people in order to give them salvation. This is known as atonement according to Christian theology.

Now, I've come across many verses which imply that Jesus was much lower than God, the Father. For example, the Bible says that Jesus used to pray to His father (John 17:1) and that his Father was greater than he was (John 14:28). There are at least a couple more verses like that.

On the other hand, however, there are other verses in the Bible that has been interpreted by Christian scholars to mean as if Jesus was God and/or that he was the sole object of worship amongst early Christians. I think those are derived implicitly, though, not from direct statements like "Jesus is God" or "You must worship Him," for example.

That brings me to the question of my topic, which is:

Is there anything explicit in the Scripture itself where Jesus says that "I am God" or "worship me"? If there are, then please post them here. If there aren't any verses like that, then what are some of the verses that come closest in supporting that belief (i.e. that Jesus is God)?

I didn't find anything like that, so that's why I'm asking.

Atheists can answer this, too, if they want to.

Messages In This Thread
The Most Explicit Verses on the Godship of Jesus - by Rayaan - November 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 644 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9275 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  More Christian denominations than bible verses Dolorian 26 5768 November 6, 2014 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Drich
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7282 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Neat combination of verses. Mystic 16 5482 September 14, 2012 at 12:44 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Pointing out Christian's Tendencies to Cherry Pick Verses is Fun Handprint 3 1724 December 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Xavier
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7422 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Favorite Bible Verses theVOID 24 6406 September 2, 2010 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Thor
  Badass Bible Verses darkwolf176 2 4043 May 17, 2010 at 9:36 am
Last Post: John_S3V