Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 11:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate?
Many would answer that it was borrowed from the Osiris myth.

Perhaps. However, I start from the premise that Yeshua was a historical figure, an itinerant rabbi with considerable rhetorical prowess, who got himself crucified by the Romans and remained dead.

So my answer is cognitive dissonance.

When people believe something intensely, and it fails to happen, they can't live with that. They have to invent a story to prove that it really did happen in an unexpected way.

We have seen this in the recent history of apocalyptic prophecy. William Miller predicted that Jesus would return on October 22, 1844, and it obviously did not happen. The result was the birth of Seventh-Day Adventism, which "arrived at the conviction that Daniel 8:14 foretold Christ's entrance into the Most Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary rather than his second coming." (Wikipedia) I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but it satisfied them. Likewise, the first Jehovah's witnesses predicted that Jesus would return in 1914. When no one spotted him, they said he had returned "invisibly."

Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet expecting the Son of Man to come and usher in the Kingdom of God within his own lifetime.

Of course he died without seeing any such event. I suppose his followers said things like, "I just can't believe he's gone." Denial is the start of the grief process. Given Jesus' very real abilities as a preacher and the credulous nature of the era, they never moved on to the later stages of grief. Someone came up with the idea that he must have risen from the dead, and then others started to fill in the details, that so-and-so had seen him post-crucifixion, that there were angels there, that he showed his wounds, that he had dinner with his associates, that he ascended into heaven.

Christians will protest that no one would make up the story of the resurrection, but they do in fact come up with all sorts of fictional details to promote their faith. To take a few trivial cases, I have received an email which presents the young Albert Einstein as a defender of the Christian faith against his atheistic professor although Einstein was a non-observant Jew who explicitly disavowed any belief in a personal God. Or there is Lady Hope's well-known story of Charles Darwin's deathbed reversion to Christianity, although Darwin's children say she was nowhere near the great scientist in his last years.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House

Messages In This Thread
How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by xpastor - November 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:30 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm
RE: How did the myth of Jesus' resurrection originate? - by Ksa - December 16, 2013 at 10:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19520 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 15291 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 14081 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4487 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6158 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 6205 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8806 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7192 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15811 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2739 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0