Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings
(October 22, 2014 at 9:10 am)Heywood Wrote: Freedom of Religion has been around a lot longer than anti-discrimination laws.

This is an irrelevant point. The right to bar minorities from one's business was around since before the Civil War, it was removed by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and in a place of public business there is no extant right to do so, no matter how long that right had been in place. Laws aren't granted seniority based on time in service.

(October 22, 2014 at 9:10 am)Heywood Wrote: Free exercise of religion trumps anti-discrimination laws as evidenced by the numerous ministerial exceptions the courts say exists.

These ministers have every right to refuse gay marriages in any church they wish to start, so far as I can see; and that's a right of refusal I would defend, even though I am pro-marriage equality.

(October 22, 2014 at 9:10 am)Heywood Wrote: The government cannot force a minister to preform a religious ceremony against his will.

The government can force him to conduct business in a non-discriminatory manner. Perhaps if they weren't acting like the moneychangers in the Temple, they'd have a better leg to stand on?

A business should be a non-prophet organization. Introducing money into the equation naturally calls into question the sincerity of their convictions, to my mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ministers Threatened with Jail/Fines For Refusing to Officiate at Gay Weddings - by Thumpalumpacus - October 22, 2014 at 10:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3302 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 31289 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hey Jared! Do You Know What "Sweet Cheeks" Means In Jail? Minimalist 8 994 January 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Joods
  This Piece of Orange Shit Belongs In Jail Minimalist 86 8564 October 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pre-op lesbian place in male jail BrokenQuill92 2 1201 February 13, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Rot in jail! Something completely different 17 3345 August 3, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  China: Visit your parents or go to jail Faith No More 3 1420 July 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Berlosconi sentenced to 4 years in jail Something completely different 12 5294 October 27, 2012 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Something completely different