Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist
(November 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: First, as long as it does not affect me, i don't see why the hell i would give a crap what someone else believes.

If you look at the Christian right trying to get creationism/ID to be taught in a science class, or portraying that global warming is a hoax, or getting prayers into class, or their fight against abortions, gay rights, and many other issues, it is no longer a question that theists are keeping their beliefs to themselves, but that they are tryng to impose it to all of society. Perhaps you are indifferent to that, but I'm not. It affects me.

Quote:Second, some people only make it through the day thanks to their belief in God.
Yeah you can call them weak, but some people have nothing real to hold on to.

But they do more than that as I indicated above.

Quote:Thirdly, we are all irrational: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority is an example of that. So judging someone else for being MORE irrational is simply hypocritical.

We all have feelings and prone to be irrational. But to place one's own beliefs on an irrational basis is not going to be very productive.

Quote:Finally, this article seems to claim that the religious are blind fools who can't know how liberating it is to be an atheist, and that is a HUGE generalization full of condescension and ignorance of the millions of believers who ONLY use religious for a moral support, never bothering to read the Bible or spend even a second worrying about any divine rules, and are as rational as you and me their whole lives.

Hitler and Stalin were also rational (Godwin's law, you win, Big Grin). Atheists and Theists can both be rational. However, it is not just a question of being rational, but what is your premise you start from. And the article makes that distinction.

Quote:Implying, as the article does, that every religious person would look up to the sky and think "forgive me Jesus" before downloading a movie illegally is just laughably wrong.

It was one of many things the author quotes as being free from. And why shouldn't he celebrate his freedom from religion?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by padraic - November 23, 2011 at 6:15 pm
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by Kree - November 23, 2011 at 9:02 pm
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by IATIA - November 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by Rwandrall - November 26, 2011 at 11:50 am
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by little_monkey - November 26, 2011 at 3:15 pm
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by Rwandrall - November 27, 2011 at 10:23 am
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by padraic - November 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm
RE: The Incredible Lightness Of Being An Atheist - by Kree - November 28, 2011 at 12:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35429 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6831 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8696 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6641 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7907 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7047 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27713 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Being atheist in the Bible Belt MyelinSheath 37 8947 January 23, 2017 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15564 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is being an Atheist like? connietheTgirl 53 7247 October 9, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: ignoramus