Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 10:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
(March 2, 2013 at 10:34 am)whateverist Wrote: Well alright then. Yes it was a dig inspired by you but deserved by many. Just to be clear though, I hardly think being compared to a theist is any insult. And, like most theists, you cling to unjustified objectivism.

Except I did justify it and you weren't able to argue against it.

(March 2, 2013 at 10:34 am)whateverist Wrote: Or else the self appointed judge who wrote the rule book he thinks applies to others is wrong. On this we obviously disagree.

What rule book?

(March 2, 2013 at 10:34 am)whateverist Wrote: Actually I did give a reason why I haven't bothered. If you were to provide me with even the slimmest outline of your argument so I could see if there was any hope for your project, I might actually look into it. Otherwise I don't intend to apply the effort required to verify what I already have good reason to believe is doomed.

So you want me to take my detailed and well-thought out argument, remove all justifications, reasoning and evidence I've provided therein, reduce it to a bunch of statements that would necessarily look like bare assertions and present it to you so that you could do what - say that these are just assertions that you have no reason to consider? Excuse me if I don't fall for that.

Sorry, but that is not how a rational debate works. Rejecting a proposition when justification is absent is a reasonable position, but that is not yours. Justification has been provided but you refuse to look at because "meh, it may not be valid". That is the same as a theist going "la la la - can't hear you.".

(March 2, 2013 at 10:34 am)whateverist Wrote: That's right. Where we disagree is in thinking that there is any objective basis for anyone's morality or that justification is required.

Then you'd have no cause to complain if someone steals from you or kills you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith - by genkaus - March 2, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1216 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 368 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3275 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2635 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1463 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4361 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10550 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4259 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7000 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2713 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind