Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith
@jstrodel
You seem to be confusing the possibility of an objective or absolute morality as the only way a good person can be honest with themselves about what is truely good or right. That is to say, that in the end, long after the world is gone, why would anything that we do actually matter unless it was grounded in some absolute truth of what is objectively right or wrong.

For example, if I killed somebody, why would it ultimately matter? If all we are is thinking beings arbitrarily going through space and time (or space-time : ) ), how could anything we do really matter if not grounded in some teleological order or law? You seem to be questioning the relevance of moral actions of the present compared to their relevance long after we are gone.

To suggest that a murder is not objectively wrong in the immediate present if it is not teleologically affirmed absolutely doesn't quite make sense. Especially not to the family of the victem. The relevance of the act in question is relative to the time of occurence. This is what makes the idea of Absolute Morality difficult to affirm, not to mention the lack of any universal morality which supports the concept of moral relativity.

Think about space time as an analogy. It is all relative. Morality is relative to the time and place of the event being placed into the moral filter. There is no absolute time, and there is no absolute morality. The history of mankind illustrates this perfectly. The absence of absolute time doesn't allow us to choose a different continuum any more than the absence of absolute moralty gives us the right to kill whomever we please. The ability to reflect on our thoughts grants us that makes us human. The desire to ask my self why before I act on a thought or instinct. We make words like "right" or "wrong" to describe our conclusions. These should not be confused with rules as nothing of the sort is absolute.

I'm new here, and it appears that I may have posted this in another place incorrectly, and it also seems that my name is being listed as saying something I did not because of how I incorrectly posted. The above was the only thing written by me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith - by The Reality Salesman - March 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1239 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 374 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3310 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2665 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1477 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4382 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10674 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4290 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7029 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2735 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind