Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 8:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong"
RE: Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong"
(February 8, 2016 at 8:59 pm)Meandering Atheist Wrote:
(February 8, 2016 at 12:58 am)Rhythm Wrote: There's no number of gay people or gay stories I'll ever see on tv that will "turn me gay".  I seriously doubt that this is how it works for anyone.

Have you ever wanted to drink a beer that tastes like piss? You didn't watch the advertisements and think "wow! If I drink that cheap beer then lots of hot girls will show up!" You were conditioned by advertisements to have a positive association with that product. The same thing can happen with just about any behaviour. The term to look for is 'operant conditioning'

(February 8, 2016 at 2:41 am)robvalue Wrote: Meandering:

Sure, Sam Harris says "let's agree morality is about maximising wellbeing". I am on board, that's what I think it should be about. And if someone thinks it's about something else, I'm going to try and explain why I think it's a bad idea.

However, from a philosophical point of view, all he's actually doing is excluding certain people from the discussion. I am fine with that, but I also like to keep in mind that if you ever want to bring other people round (those who don't agree about what morality should be about) you need to explain why your goals are better, not simply tell them they can't be part of the discussion.

Under Harris' definition, which most civilised people would agree with (after some make irrelevant extra points about god), homosexuality is in no way a danger to anyone's wellbeing and so is not a problem.

Could you go into more depth on who he actually excludes and why? I'm genuinely interested.

(February 8, 2016 at 6:25 pm)Divinity Wrote: This might just be the stupidest fucking thing I've heard all year.

Why is it that straight people are so fucking worried about people TURNING GAY, when they're the ones who are trying to TURN PEOPLE STRAIGHT.  I mean give me a fucking break.  They're the ones trying to 'fix' what isn't broken.  You don't see "Pray Away the Straight" therapy centers, now fucking do you?

Now, now. Surely you've heard stupider things this year. Please don't get the false impression that I actually want to prevent people from being who they want to be. My only (minor) concern is in social engineering, and pushing politically correct notions of acceptance too far.

Frankly, there are too many fucking people as it is in the world. If 20%, 50%, 95% of them were attracted to the same sex, big whoop. The world keeps turning.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" - by Iroscato - February 9, 2016 at 7:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theocracy on the way Spongebob 94 6056 January 19, 2022 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1003 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2964 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 1005 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3830 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3478 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14513 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17701 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Gods? No way TheoneandonlytrueGod 15 4459 December 4, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  A quick way to disprove an aggressive christian TunaDragon28 12 3330 November 28, 2015 at 8:51 am
Last Post: brewer