Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:44 pm

Poll: What is "will" to you?
This poll is closed.
Radically free in the full blooded libertarian sense.
0%
0 0%
Free but inescapably (and thankfully) constrained.
17.65%
3 17.65%
Compulsory. Nothing gets willed unless I get off my lazy ass.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Free when not impeded by the will of another or circumstances beyond my feeble powers.
11.76%
2 11.76%
"Will" is an illusion of the mind, a concept believed by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
23.53%
4 23.53%
Will is epiphenomenal, a byproduct of useful processes of the brain.
23.53%
4 23.53%
Other please explain unless the repeated call to so causes nausea. Check with your doctor to see if your constitution is strong enough for this debate.
17.65%
3 17.65%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'?
RE: Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'?
(May 30, 2015 at 9:56 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 29, 2015 at 6:32 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I don't think mind, under the definition I've given, is vague, although determining what systems have it is wayyy beyond vague and bordering on impossible.  But with the baby example, you are still talking about psychology rather than psychogony.
I don't know what your definition has to do with it.  It seems you are conflating having mind with experiencing qualia.  If so, my earlier example of cerebral achromatopsia, where an individual can have visual qualia without the color of ordinary visual qualia, is good evidence that qualia isn't an all or nothing proposition.  Regardless, I'm not arguing about qualia.  Mind (or subjectivity) could be either vague, or it could be that there is a definite boundary between mind and no mind.  Your continually repeating that you think there is a definite boundary does nothing to settle the matter.  I don't personally see any reason why there has to be a definite boundary, which is why I question you as to the basis of your belief.  Why do you feel there has to be a definite boundary?  I don't think that mind is a result solely of complexity - it needs to be complexity of a specific kind.  But if animal's nervous systems evolve incrementally, I see no obvious argument that subjectivity or mind wouldn't also have evolved incrementally.
I've defined the term "mind" as the existence of a subjective perspective as I mean the term in a discussion of evolution.  I certainly would agree with you that qualia is not all or nothing-- it involves the blending of different kinds of patterns, shapes, textures, etc., as well as the integration of different senses.

I've changed my position about your quote and comment to follow-- mind can be defined in different ways-- for example, as the processing of complex stimuli.  And given different definitions of mind, I'd be more than happy to see grey area.  But I don't think there is a "kind-of subjective": either something has that perspective or it doesn't.  I think there really must be some kind of elemental qualia that would represent the minimum possible stimulus that could meet that definition: perhaps the transmission and reception of a single photon, or perhaps the firing of a single neuron, or perhaps a neural chain which feeds back on itself at least one time.

Quote:
(May 29, 2015 at 6:32 pm)bennyboy Wrote: It's not an assertion.  HOWEVER you define mind, either it exists or it doesn't, under the definition I gave: that where there is even the vaguest subjective perspective, there is mind.  If you want to argue that mind means something more complex, that's fine-- but since we're talking about evolution, I want to start with the simplest possible definition, and look at how it relates to the development of the nervous system and then the brain throughout our evolutionary history.
(bold mine)
Did you really just say that?  My point is that I believe there will likely be cases where, under any criterion, it's not clear whether the organism does or does not possess mind.  Given that, your continued insistence that it either is or isn't present is just an assertion, one which you keep repeating to no effect.
See above.  I'm going to have to stay with my definition, which is tailored with a view to looking at how mind would first have evolved.  I no longer want to claim that under any possible definition, any aspect of mind is necessarily boolean.

Quote:Here your assumption about the non-vagueness of mind resurfaces.  If you could grant that the boundary between mind and no-mind is not distinct, the origin of mind would make a lot more sense, as it wouldn't have to be there all at once.  This is analogous to the case of cerebral achromatopsia, where one can have partial qualia.
The problem comes down to semantics: "mind" is so vague that many would ascribe it to things I would never attribute it to: computers, for example.  But you are still talking about quality of qualia, which I'd call psychology, whereas I'm really interested in getting at pschogony-- the origin and explanation of mind vs. not-mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'? - by bennyboy - May 30, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 330 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 849 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3281 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2270 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2836 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Humans are scum ApeNotKillApe 39 10273 May 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will Rhondazvous 57 5378 April 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2530 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 9221 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4096 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01