Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you consider to be evidence for God?
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God?
(July 16, 2015 at 12:42 pm)FreeTony Wrote:
(July 16, 2015 at 9:40 am)lkingpinl Wrote: 1. The extreme fine-tuning of the universe in order for the possibility of human life in relation to the astronomically calculated odds of this happening by chance.

2. Why if you see your name written in the sand on the beach you can not fathom that the waves, rocks, sticks somehow worked in random fashion to scrawl your name but you automatically assume a person wrote it (intelligent being), but when you look at the longest word ever discovered, the human genome (3.5 billion letters in precise order) you assume random chance?

Thank you and look forward to the discussion.

1. You cannot calculate these odds. I'd suggest a refresher of Bayes Theorem. If you think you can generate a probability of humans existing then either you do not understand probability or physics, and most likely don't have a clue about either.

2. The human DNA isn't a word, it's a bunch of chemicals. With your logic I could measure all the heights of a hill along a line, assign different letters to different heights, then claim the hill must have been designed because you spelt out a word.

(July 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm)Tonus Wrote:
(July 16, 2015 at 9:40 am)lkingpinl Wrote: 1.  The extreme fine-tuning of the universe in order for the possibility of human life in relation to the astronomically calculated odds of this happening by chance.

The fine-tuning argument must either assume that the possible 'settings' for life are limited and immutable --implying that god is similarly limited, which puts the idea that he created everything in doubt-- or that god can create any sort of universe and make it support life... in which case fine-tuning is bunk because any settings could support life if god wished it so.  So it's really a non-argument.

The fine-tuning argument has had its flaws exposed, time and time and time again.

Posting blogs about debunking fine tuning and talks of multiverses is not an argument.  I can post just as many from the other perspective.  I did not bring God in to the discussion, you did.  I in no way claim that there are not flaws in my argument just as the ones you espouse (multiverses) also have their flaws.  I'm just saying I find it very interesting to see the more we know about science in this modern time, the more scientists are "shocked" about the improbability of our universes existence.  Even the greatest mind of our time and vehement atheist Prof. Stephen Hawking mentioned it in his book, "A Brief History of Time".  Other leading scientists such as Fred Hoyle, the astronomer who coined the term “big bang,” said that his atheism was “greatly shaken” at these developments. He later wrote that “a common-sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a super-intellect has monkeyed with the physics, as well as with chemistry and biology . . . . The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question.”

These are leading scientists who know far beyond you are I and they do not take the argument lightly.  
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Kingpin - July 16, 2015 at 1:13 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Athene - September 7, 2015 at 11:35 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Athene - September 7, 2015 at 11:43 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Pyrrho - September 8, 2015 at 11:25 am
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Athene - September 8, 2015 at 11:51 am
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Pyrrho - September 10, 2015 at 11:31 am
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by IATIA - November 28, 2015 at 11:45 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Heat - November 30, 2015 at 9:20 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by IATIA - December 12, 2015 at 12:44 am
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by GUBU - September 18, 2016 at 3:35 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by GUBU - September 11, 2016 at 7:39 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Cato - November 2, 2016 at 11:57 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Tonus - November 27, 2016 at 10:38 pm
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Tonus - December 15, 2016 at 10:15 am
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God? - by Tonus - December 27, 2016 at 12:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4112 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10890 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2489 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3382 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1705 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4822 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8175 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2906 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1057 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 2770 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain