Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 2:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
So, what I don't follow is why value isn't biological? To me, it seems that value, as it exists, is just a way to summarize the relationship between an object and one's biology/psychology.

As I was trying to say in the other thread, this is a real thing. My body craves food. My body needs food to live. I want to live. So we total those things up, and I assign value to the food. The value represents a the summary of tangible things to me at this moment. If I want to die, my valuing food may dip significantly. If I were dead, I wouldn't value food at all.

So what confuses me about your post, is where does value stop being just the representation of our biological/psychological relationships to things. And more importantly, when does it exist outside of the very narrow scope?

You talk of true value, but true value is not a descriptor that makes sense to me, as it doesn't represent any relationship. Or maybe it does, in that value doesn't exist without a relationship, therefore we have no true value?

I know you want to say "God values us, and he's all powerful, so that means his value is objective." But that's wandered into the magical unknowable alternate reality. Again, I suspect you use religious texts to 'know' the 'unknowable', but that seems more like optimism than knowledge as from my perspective, I don't see a need to believe anything has true value.

You covered a lot of stuff in the OP, with a lot of fuzziness. I'd be interested if you can hone in on this more specific part.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by henryp - January 13, 2016 at 11:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2270 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1449 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7275 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 21942 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4595 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2882 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13419 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet