Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves.
(March 30, 2017 at 10:17 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 29, 2017 at 10:49 am)wallym Wrote: But the value of you riding your bike to school is based on your goals.  Because you want to get to school and exercise, biking has value to you.  But to me, I have no goals associated with you.  So it doesn't matter to me if you get to school or get exercise.  So your biking to school has no value to me.

If the goals are not universal, then the value the actions have in helping achieve the goal is also not universal.

If Hitler wants to get to school on time as well, and their is only one bike that he shares with you, you will both have opposing goals, and consequently, the value of an action will be opposite.  If you ride to school, your actions has value to your goal, but has negative value towards Hitler's goal.  And the same the other way around.  If Hitler gets the bike, it hurts your ability to achieve your goal, so has negative value to you.  

Just like Hitler committing genocide and trying to conquer Europe were actions with positive value in achieving his goals, yet, for most, the actions had negative value.  The negative value just happened to be a vast majority, and people just rounded up to everyone, and pretend it's universal.  But there've been enough people committing genocide and trying to conquer the world in history, that I think it's pretty clear it's far from a universally held idea.

If you want to have a universal values, you need a universal goal.  You can make one up, I suppose.  But I'm not sure how you convince others that your 'universal goal' is not just something you made up.  If I were trying to do it, I'd probably try to create an authority figure.  Possibly some God type, and say they have a bunch of universal goals, and that'd probably be pretty effective.

Actions that are relative to us or a few around us, have an effect on others who aren't not necessarily connected to us. We are all interlinked.

I don't think the value of an action to be objective has to be universal in the sense everyone must assign the same value to an action. It just requires an objective perception to that value.

Biking could be really good thing for me to do and that really is valuable for me to do for myself. However Hitler might thinking what he did was good for himself and others, doesn't make it so simply because he assigns that value.

So we can estimate value to actions, but our estimate is not what assigns the value. Rather we estimate based on some sort of scent to value and understanding of goals, purpose, and value, which relates to our language of love which gives us some sort far-sighted sense of objective worth and purpose.

God fits perfectly and nothing else fits perfectly for that perception that sees our actions exactly as they are or our value or states.

To have a value that is shared and thus can have an objective perception that applies to all, you need a universal perspective.  But true value to an individual comes from their personal perspective.  I think their brain, specifically.

The problem with Hitler, is that many of his actions likely were good for himself and others.  Obviously, he made some tactical blunders along the way.  But the reason we have laws, is because many criminal actions benefit the criminals, so there has to be a way to lower the value of the action from their perspective.

(March 29, 2017 at 6:03 pm)Orochi Wrote:
(March 29, 2017 at 11:41 am)wallym Wrote: As for the other stuff, I've never felt patronized or insulted in any of my dealings with MK.  Perhaps experiences in your theistic backgrounds/or past experiences with theists have made a lot of you super duper sensitive?  That would also explain why every time he posts, a bunch of people seem to trip over eachother rushing to make some shitpost.  "TRY TO TELL ME GOD IS REAL!! GET THE FUCK OUT MOM!!!  umm... I MEAN MK!"  Which is fine, I guess.  We all have our shit.  But I'm not the person to complain about it too, because from where I'm sitting, it looks a lot more like stuff being projected onto MK than anything he's doing.

Nope had a good religious background so your full of shit declaring this is some emotional anti religious projection  . Kindly take your amateur psychoanalysis and keep it to yourself.

I said 'perhaps' and 'a bunch of people.'  You read that as a declaration, and responded as though I targeted it at you and only you.

I wonder what a professional psychoanalyst would have to say about that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Ultimate Value and the signs of it in ourselves. - by henryp - March 30, 2017 at 11:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2269 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  So how much should we concern ourselves with morality? How much is enough? Whateverist 9 1449 July 16, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  When are we not ourselves? KUSA 74 7274 June 17, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  What is 'objective' value? henryp 159 21925 January 24, 2016 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Truth in context vs ultimate truth bennyboy 20 4593 March 15, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The essence of value Mystic 11 2881 March 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13417 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet