Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 1:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book?
RE: For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book?
(January 10, 2017 at 1:25 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Queen of the Quantum Realm in 82 words

Nobody knows where the deadly purple plague came from. Even the powerful Earth mage is scratching his head. But when his parents fall ill, Jawan looks for clues in places h e’s not supposed to go and finds himself trapped in a world of swirling mists and hostile subatomic particles. He thinks the queen is crazy to put him in a dungeon and then expect him to save her realm from their prophesied enemy. Until he realizes it’s his own world that’s in danger.

Does this blub fly or sink?

Honestly, I totally zoned out. I have no idea what most of those things mean by themselves or in relation to each other.

Give me a clear premise, set a tone, establish the protagonist and their goal - their conflict - in terms that I can understand.
There's a deadly plague. Fine, I understand what those are. The language leaves me confused on the tone. I don't really know where/when this is happening, or in what genre. But it does quickly establish what I assume is a major source of conflict, and that's a good thing.
Jawan's parents are sick and so our protagonist has clear motivation to do something about it. Great!
Other than that, to anyone who hasn't already read the thing and has context, it's nonsense, nonsense dealing with very abstract ideas. Fine when we have some proper context, not so much in a blurb.

I'm sure it's very interesting to you that the Earth mage is stumped but I don't know who that is or what that means. And the second half is a very brief and largely abstract summary of the plot. It's stuff I don't care about because I don't understand it yet.
Not to say I couldn't be persuaded to find it interesting, but you need to hook me on the emotional level before I can be expected to read far enough to find out. Communicate the theme. What is the story ABOUT and how does that concept relate to the development of the protagonist?

Intrigue, don't confuse. Smile
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Messages In This Thread
RE: For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? - by ApeNotKillApe - January 11, 2017 at 3:52 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)? Jillybean 27 918 March 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Project? Collaborative Fiction, based on a true story kinda Nanny 2 270 February 2, 2024 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  The Most Notorious Badass In Fiction BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1450 September 19, 2023 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1076 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Horror fiction MR. Macabre 666 16 1037 May 25, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Unintended improvisation that makes the final cut. Brian37 8 489 June 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 265 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3209 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  This is my fave cartoon, always makes me cry Brian37 6 815 January 14, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1121 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir