Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
(March 6, 2018 at 4:22 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(March 3, 2018 at 6:03 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I have over the years gotten  tired of discussng whether there is a god, with well meaning relatives.  I have a new program.  I say,

I would like to (1) believe in god, if god exists; and  (2) to not believe in god, if God does not exist.  Can you say the same?  If the answer is "no,"  I refuse to discuss the matter as we have left the realm of what is in favor of we would like to be.  

I've tried this just three times now. The answer has never been flat out no at least not initially.  Instead, the responses have been:  but you are trying to take away my faith; Pascal's Wager; and I just know he does.  To which I respond, that unless you are willing to consider the possibility there is no god, than there is no point in the dicussion.   It isn't perfect, but so far this works better than anything I've tried yet.

You are simply saying you want to have a true belief. But because of the nature of the subject, certainty one way or the other is simply not possible. However, you don't want to grant your opponent that, so you (disingenuously) have set yourself up to be the one who looks like you are the only one with an open mind. In other words, the question of the existence of God is a probabilistic one, and to demand certainty is clearly unwarranted. 

Inherent in your question is the idea that some sort of proof is available. What exactly do you mean by proof? It seems there are different kinds of proof.

* Scientific proof
* Historical proof
* Logical proofs (both deductive and inductive)
* Proof resulting from personal experience

There also also different thresholds of proof:

* Possible
* More likely than not (preponderance of the evidence)
* Beyond reasonable doubt
* Absolute certainty

These lists result in 16 different combinations alone (and I'm sure I missed some). What combination(s) do you think is the minimum necessary for a basic belief to be reasonable? See, that's the crux of this whole debate: proof is demanded but atheists typically use the wrong combination of kind/threshold so they can claim--"see, no proof".

(March 6, 2018 at 3:41 pm)robvalue Wrote: What exactly are we meant to do with someone else's "personal experience"?

No one is qualified to conclude that any particular occurrence was the result of a cause which hasn't yet been shown to be real in the first place. At best it's just unexplained.

That's one concise question begging argument. We can't consider a supernatural cause in event xyz because supernatural events have not been shown to happen. 

Quote:It's funny how all this magic stuff occurring everywhere around believers has completely avoided me the entire 40 years I've been on this planet. Why is that, I wonder?

How do you know? There could have been a 100,000 supernatural causes in and around your life. They are not all big flashy events with lights and smoke. A simple encounter, a delay, whatever. What if the effect God was after is a long way off? Why not 100 years from now? You can believe there are none but you cannot logically conclude that there were none. I would make the argument that if God exists and has a directed purpose for mankind, then it is very likely that you have been affected by supernatural causation in your life.

You are correct in saying that I want to have a true belief.  That is the crux of it.  Regardless of whether it is possible to know for certain, I still want my belief to be correct.  Not everyone does.  Which is why it is so hard to get Christians to say, "If god does not exist, I don't want to believe in him." It is my way of determing if you all really want to know.  If you don't, then you can't discuss the evidence honestly.   

Some people don't want to know if they have cancer AIDS.  Some people don't want to know if a loved one suffered in death, or if their spouse cheated on them.  

This isn't the only question that people sometimes don't want the answer to.  Just recently we offered a 23 and Me kit to Mr. A's dad.  He declined the offer because his nephew had taken the test and came back only 1/4  English.  Mr. A Senior's parents were both English so he expected his nephew to be around 1/2 English.  This leads Mr. A Senior to suspect, rightly or wrongly, that his mother had an affair.  He would rather not have proof one way or the other.  So he will not take the test and has asked Mr. A not to tell him his results.  He would prefer, as his says, not to know if his mother had had an affair.  It would disturb his memory of her.  I'm not going to discuss it with him.

Like theists who will not say that they want to believe there is no god, if there isn't one, they prefer believing one thing, without examining the other possibility.  And that's fine, as long as the don't want to discuss the possibilities with me.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question - by Jenny A - March 6, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6517 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 14182 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6781 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 7081 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1782 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30240 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 47682 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2545 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 4004 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 4041 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja