Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books on dealing with suffering
Books on dealing with suffering
Does anyone know of any good books on the subject of dealing with suffering in life as an atheist? Personally, I'm doing fine, but watching the news you can see the potential horrors life can throw at you and it I think it would be wise to be at least somewhat prepared spiritually/philosophically from an atheist perspective.
RE: Books on dealing with suffering
That would depend on the suffering. I would consider having a stab wound suffering, and for that I advise you not to waste time reading and go seek medical help Tongue

Cunt
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Without-God-B...0061670111

dealing with suffering in life.. hmmm.. there is a book that comes to mind, but it's not for atheists Big Grin
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(January 19, 2012 at 7:07 am)tackattack Wrote: dealing with suffering in life.. hmmm.. there is a book that comes to mind, but it's not for atheists Big Grin
Deadpan
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
(January 19, 2012 at 7:07 am)tackattack Wrote: dealing with suffering in life.. hmmm.. there is a book that comes to mind, but it's not for atheists Big Grin

Yeh when i become broke, i'll burn my Bible to stay warm. Tongue
I don't recommend any book to help with suffering. I've had more suffering than most 70 yr olds, I just get on and have support from friends and family, no book (no fundies, not even your playtime book) will come close to that. But if you want books i'll give you two titles that might give you a different perspective, maybe make you realise, if you get problems that you have it far better and are luckier by far, than others;

Down and out in Paris and London & Road to Wigan Pier: George Orwell.

Tacky... we want to HELP people continue with life not slash their wrists.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
@KN :ROFLOL:
glad I could bring a little humor, it's so rare from me.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(January 20, 2012 at 7:18 am)tackattack Wrote: @KN :ROFLOL:
glad I could bring a little humor, it's so rare from me.

No worries mate Thumb up

Maybe you should get out more?? Or take your lady to bed more??

this is just a suggestion. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'd love to take my wife to bed more, she threw out her back though..I won't detract anymore from the thred.. let your minds ponder on that Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2104 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6798 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5213 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3923 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4136 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Dealing with Death as an Atheist AlternativeArtStyles 82 12591 May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7528 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  We are nothing for suffering (my story) MattMVS7 37 7084 October 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*