Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Atheist books?
Favorite Atheist books?
For all those who do not know, I am currently an agnostic who has posed as a True Christian.

I have read God is not great, but wonder if there are other good atheist authors and books. Christopher Hitchens was very smart, but he seemed at times too uptight and stuffy, almost like an author from 40-50 years ago was writing today.

I sort of respect Dawkins, but he seems a bit too dry and scientific.

I really like Sam Harris and am thinking of purchasing "Letter to a Christian nation"

Any recommendations?
RE: Favorite Atheist books?
The His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass/Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(December 29, 2015 at 12:44 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Christopher Hitchens was very smart, but he seemed at times too uptight and stuffy, almost like an author from 40-50 years ago was writing today.

If an elegant and sometimes ferocious prose style combined with a devastating wit and a fearless commitment to pointing out bullshit and injustice is your idea of uptight and stuffy, so be it.  Rolleyes   Hitchens easily makes my short list of ideal dinner party companions. I would have gladly knocked back several belts of the good stuff over a nice meal and conversed with him for hours.

And 40-50 years ago lands you in the '60s-'70s. Not exactly a period known for uptight or stuffy either in writing or in the culture at large.

Fuck, if Hitchens is stuffy to you, you probably won't get through five pages of my recommendation without lapsing into a coma, but here it is anyway:

Atheism: A Philosophical Justification by Michael Martin
I kind of expected you to be a phony.

That said, I have no favorite atheist book or author. I've never read a single book on the topic of atheism. Why should I? My atheism is based on the world, it's history and biology and I don't need an outside view to confirm it. As I often keep saying, I am not atheist and the topic doesn't interest me at all. Atheism is just my disbelief, not what makes me as a person.

I know, of course, who Hitchens was. But I haven't read any book by him and would be hard pressed to recall anything he said. I don't like Harris, for reasons that haven't got anything to do with atheism. And I rather like Dawkins, again, not for his atheism, but for his style. I've watched several debates and presentations he gave and he impresses me as an intelligent man with a sense of humor.

What I did read were several books on religion. One of my favorite authors was Karlheinz Deschner, who spent his writing career riding attacks against the Catholic church. He got his facts right, but I always was aware that he was polemic and that he bennt the facts to suit his agenda. Which is easily done if you leave certain redeeming factors out. I liked to read his books because of the humorous style he presented even the most abhorrent tales.

One truth I always adhere to, is to be critical when reading something. Regardless if it's fiction, non fiction or philosophy. Always be aware of the author and a possible agenda and make your own mind up. Which, in my opinion, is the most important thing. Always think for yourself and don't let anyone else take over the thinking part.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 29, 2015 at 1:07 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: The His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass/Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

Read them all. Very good, if a bit advanced and dry for kids. Seems more of a young adults series.

You know the BBC is adapting all three of them Smile ?

I hope they get Daniel Craig back..
Quote: Christopher Hitchens was very smart, but he seemed at times too uptight and stuffy, almost like an author from 40-50 years ago was writing today.

Oh, you mean from when people knew how to write without OMG, LOL, and BFF.

Thanks.  I'll take stuffy.
(December 29, 2015 at 1:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, you mean from when people knew how to write without OMG, LOL, and BFF.

I'm not sure, if I will see the day of the first book written in emojis. But it's a distinct possibility, given our excellent education systems.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 29, 2015 at 1:35 pm)TrueChristian Wrote:
(December 29, 2015 at 1:07 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: The His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass/Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

Read them all. Very good, if a bit advanced and dry for kids. Seems more of a young adults series.

You know the BBC is adapting all three of them Smile ?

I hope they get Daniel Craig back..

I did not know that.  I hope they do a really really good job with them.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(December 29, 2015 at 1:43 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 29, 2015 at 1:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, you mean from when people knew how to write without OMG, LOL, and BFF.

I'm not sure, if I will see the day of the first book written in emojis. But it's a distinct possibility, given our excellent education systems.

ROFLOL
(December 29, 2015 at 2:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 29, 2015 at 1:43 pm)abaris Wrote: I'm not sure, if I will see the day of the first book written in emojis. But it's a distinct possibility, given our excellent education systems.

ROFLOL

Dodgy

Jerkoff

Angry

Bong

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6796 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  H.P Lovecraft is my favorite atheist Kinkimoro 12 1615 September 15, 2018 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4055 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Favorite Atheist? TrueChristian 6 1455 February 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7527 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Favorite Atheist Poet? Mudhammam 5 1516 August 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7698 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Respectable books on apologetics? simpleinterest 35 7527 April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Cato