Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cthulhu's Wager
Cthulhu's Wager
Most if not all of us are familiar with Pascal's Wager - the premise that there is much to gain and nothing to lose by belief in and worship of god, and nothing to gain from disbelief, and therefore a rational person should believe in god and act accordingly.

There are many conventional arguments against Pascal's wager, and I'll be avoiding them entirely.

Is it true that there is really nothing to lose by worshiping god?

Pascal's one-size-fits-all argument fails when you consider that the concept of "gain/loss" is a personal value judgement and presupposes that certain conditions can be universally considered beneficial. This is not the case.

If one's personal views on ethics, justice and morality are closely aligned with those that are claimed to be held by the god in question, and one finds value in the reward of eternal afterlife in the presence of said god, then one might find the wager convincing.

On the other hand, if one finds god's ethics, justice and morality to be deficient or even malignant, one could not be expected to be thrilled by the prospect of spending an eternity worshiping said god. To such a person, Pascal's Wager is a losing proposition.

RE: Cthulhu's Wager
I would have figured Cthulhu's Wager would involve making sure to be eaten first.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is it true that there is really nothing to lose by worshiping god?
No.

Even if there's a god you lose all self-respect and dignity for starters, and then there's the staggering irretrievable amount of time you wasted praying to this deity during your one-and-only life.

Muslims who pray 5-a-day have my sympathies.
(February 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I would have figured Cthulhu's Wager would involve making sure to be eaten first.

Shit. I forgot that part. FSM Grin

'Muslims who pray 5-a-day have my sympathies'

Not mine.
(February 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: 'Muslims who pray 5-a-day have my sympathies'

Not mine.

Right. They could wake the fuck up and stop. WTF kind of "god" would want to hear such relentless chanting 5 times a day from a billion assholes anyway?

I'd kill them just to get some peace and quiet.
Same here. They're the ones making a conscious decision to pray five times a day.

The problem with Pascal's Wager is not self-respect, dignity, and wasted time so much as it is the problem of trying to make yourself believe in God in the first place. It would be like trying to make yourself believe that Santa Claus is a real magical person who actually does live up at the North Pole and delivers toys to children around the world once a year. You know there's so much wrong with the myth and the fact that it was a made-up fairy tale that you just can't make yourself believe it, and any motions you go through will just be pretending. I'd much rather not lie to myself.

Besides, if God really wants me to worship him, all he's got to do is show me that he exists and is worthy of worship.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(February 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(February 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: 'Muslims who pray 5-a-day have my sympathies'

Not mine.

Right. They could wake the fuck up and stop. WTF kind of "god" would want to hear such relentless chanting 5 times a day from a billion assholes anyway?

I'd kill them just to get some peace and quiet.

One with Alzheimers, Min.
(February 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: The problem with Pascal's Wager is not self-respect, dignity, and wasted time so much as it is the problem of trying to make yourself believe in God in the first place.

Yes, that's one of the conventional arguments I was trying to avoid rehashing. Angel

I don't believe one can earnestly make oneself believe in god absent something that qualifies in one's mind as evidence, and if an omniscient god existed, he would surely know if you were earnest or not.
You've got your entire life to lose and everything you do affects others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3410 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Pascal's Wager Revisited datc 203 29940 April 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  The Next Time Someone Throws That STOOPID Pascal's Wager In Your Face... BrianSoddingBoru4 2 1482 October 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Pascal's Wager and the Selfishness of a "Good God" darkment0r 61 23295 April 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  my point of view to "Pascal's wager" annatar 19 9005 June 28, 2010 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: chasm
  Pascal's Wager Ace Otana 30 24107 September 12, 2008 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Tiberius