Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational.
Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational.
I know many think Paschal's Wager is false and allegedly irremediable, even with a few changes; but let me make a quick case for it, with some adaptations and changes. Let's call it the NPW, the New Paschal's Wager:

Firstly, the purpose of the NPW is not to show that Christianity is True. There are independent arguments for that, Cosmology, Fine Tuning, the Moral Argument, the Historical Evidence for Christ's Crucifixion, Messianic Prophecies like Isaiah 53, then that for Christ's Resurrection, Internal Experience etc.

The purpose of the NPW is rather to show that Christianity is a rational choice or decision to make given the relation of risk to reward. This is a very common idea in probability called expectations. People might have heard of it and an example will illustrate for those who haven't.

Let's say you had a dice of 1 to 5, and you would receive $100 either for playing on the side of (1) getting 1-3 or (2) 4-5. Which would you choose? Of course the former, because there's a 60% probability that you would get it, while only a 40% probability of the latter. If it was 1-3, and 3-6, and the return was the same in both cases, you'd be neutral in your choice, as those are equiprobable events.

Now, let's come to evaluating the two opinions of Christianity and Atheism. Of these two opinions, Christianity promise an Eternal, Priceless reward. Let's call it, for analogy' sake, like receiving $1 TN. Atheism, according to itself, can credibly promise nothing of that sort. At most it can promise such things as "I'll have my Sunday mornings free", "we can sin without consequence since there is no God" etc. Let's consider that like $1000.

Now, what needs to be assessed is not only the respective reward promised by each but also the probability of each being true.

Given the above, if Christian Theism vis-a-vis Marxist (or other) Atheism is even 50-50, i.e. Christianity has a 50% probability of being true, and 50% one of being false, it in fact logically follows that being a Christian is the more rational choice. [It doesn't prove it true to be sure, but the more rational choice, yes] The same as if 1-3 promised you 1 TN, whereas 3-6 promised you 1000. For atheists to show, in light of the respective reward Christianity promises and Atheism cannot promise, that Atheism is a more rational choice, they would have to show, that Christianity is extremely improbable and Atheism allegedly extremely probable. Again, I don't personally believe it's only 50-50, but the argument works.

If you disagree, pls explain where and why, with reasons of your own. Thanks.

Regards,
Xavier.
RE: Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational.
That's not a reformulation, that just Pascal's [note correct spelling] basic wager. And it's just as deeply flawed as it ever was. Let's look at in in different terms.

I present you with two boxes, A and B. Choosing box A will give a long, happy life on Gumdrop Mountain where the unicorn chickens will serenade you with the Zithers of Contentment while the leprechaun chorus sing selections from Edgar Cayce's Song Of The Remarkable. Choosing box B will give you the opportunity (just the opportunity) for a good education, a satisfying career, and a happy home life.

If you choose box A, you're an idiot, because none of those things exist. Same with Christian promises.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational.
If christiboi's sky pixie is so true, why did it take so long to reveal itself?

Why was there no mention of jebus h, in any of the ancient Greek tales? Or the tales of the ancient Romans?
The Aztecs?
The Mayans?
The Incas?

Hinduism is the oldest still practiced religion, it predates the godiboi of yours by a few thousand years, still no mention of your savior.

Why is that?
[Image: F1mo-YU-a-YAAm-P5m-jpeg.jpg]
Dying to live, living to die.
Paschal's Wager is garbage if I'm right you lived a lie and if you're right I lose nothing anyway.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(July 24, 2023 at 5:20 am)Helios Wrote: Paschal's Wager is garbage if I'm right you lived a lie and if you're right I lose nothing anyway.

How so, to the bolded? I didn't even bring Hell into the equation above, but perhaps that would be like -1 TN Dollars. So not only the opportunity cost of not gaining the actual 1 TN, but also that of losing a further 1 TN eternally. What I said is absolutely true and logically follows. If Christianity and Atheism are but equiprobable, i.e. 50-50, it's logically and mathematically demonstrable Christianity is the more rational choice.

Quote:Choosing box B will give you the opportunity (
Quote:just the opportunity) for a good education, a satisfying career, and a happy home life.

Of course, those are things Christians can have too, and do have in many cases. We wish them for our Atheist Friends too, as we wish them also Eternal Happiness. But that does nothing to show that, the situation being as I stated, Atheism is more rational to choose than Christianity. For Atheists to show that, they would have to show that the probability of Christianity being true is vanishingly low, as in the case of your example Box A. If it's even 50-50, as I said, then Christianity is the more rational choice, just as I explained with the dice example? Which would you choose in the dice example, Brian, if 1-3 offered you 1 TN Dollars, and 4-6 1000? I think I know, but you tell me.
I didn't mention hell and no he atheist doesn't have to show anything of the sort  Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(July 24, 2023 at 4:30 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Now, let's come to evaluating the two opinions of Christianity and Atheism. Of these two opinions, Christianity promise an Eternal, Priceless reward.

[Image: 9Up5zFxw_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
As I understand it, Pascals wager says you you should believe in god because you might win and cand can't lose (simplified I know) but by the same argument you should also believe in ALL the other thousands of gods people have believed in in the past.
Makes no sense
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Yes, hence I said I was re-formulating it, mathematically, in terms of the probabilistic theory of expectations, well known to us Investment Bankers. Any thoughts on the OP, Zebo? The traditional formulation does need some reworking and updating, but the general premise is sound for the reason I explained. Will get back after work to the rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35418 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15557 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11628 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Trump solidified Christian stance with prolife; why he'd make a horrible president. bussta33 12 2821 April 3, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Is it rational to maximize rationality? Whateverist 28 4225 July 11, 2015 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Pascal's Wager Revisited datc 203 31025 April 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  I am better off being a christian than an atheist ZeldaAdmirer 13 4396 November 17, 2014 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3380 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Modelling gods mathematically. Heywood 18 5166 April 7, 2014 at 10:34 am
Last Post: tor