Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My mother annoys me
My mother annoys me
I am staggered that discussing the existence of god in my house (well my parents' household, I don't live with them anymore) is somewhat frowned on.

Whenever I try and bring 'god' into conversations, to point out the stupidity of things in the bible for example, I get one of two responses.

Dad: "Well sorry Mr Smart-Arse"

Mom: "tut, why do you have to be so disrespectful"

Seriously? WTF!

Are my parent's the only ones who refuse to converse on this subject? It's like they are scared because I am right. My dad seems intent on not even giving a shit on the subject. My mother seems to take offence whenever I insult religion, like I'm attacking her beliefs or something. But she doesn't even believe, she knows herself it's all stupid. "They are nice stories on how to live your life why don't you just be nice about it". Okay, for one, my mother hasn't read a single verse of the fuckin' bible. Two, it's not nice, and I've said this countless times to them.

The thing which frustrates me is the fact they both refuse to even discuss the existence of god or religion at all. Like it's not a topic they are even interested in.

It really saddens me that so many people (like my parents) just don't seem to give a fuck, yet somehow think they owe something to religion by trying to defend it blindly.

Makes me happy that I found this place though at least. Just had to vent, it was on my mind.
RE: My mother annoys me
My mom's faith actually deminished when I went through why Christianity is a lie but now she holds this Deistic position of something just having to be there, even though that's almost easier to refute. I'm afraid some people are just going to believe what makes them feel good in this day and age. It must be hard for new atheists that are old folks or even folks like ypur parents who might've never heard the arguments against their positions and are now questioning things. Because they realize they've been living a lie their whole life and probably giving up great opportunities and losing out on experiences because of their hinderances from religion and their moral guidings they may not agree with.
My wife is the same way. She refuses to discuss religion with me partly because I believe she doesn't want to have her belief in god ruined, but it's mostly because I become a condescending prick when I discuss religion with her.Smile

I can't help it though.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm)Faith No More Wrote: My wife is the same way. She refuses to discuss religion with me partly because I believe she doesn't want to have her belief in god ruined, but it's mostly because I become a condescending prick when I discuss religion.Smile

I can't help it though.

Cant help but ask why havn't you traded up yet? I could never date let alone merry someone so close minded.
She's not closed minded, she just isn't strong enough to deal with the insecurity of there being no god, and I am not about to force that away from her.

And I haven't traded up, because the heart wants what the heart wants, religious or not.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If you would rather have your significiant other in blissful ignorance rather than talking things through like mature adults.. then by all means, more power to the both of you.
Like mature adults? You seem to be assuming she doesn't have her reasons. As long as she isn't forcing it down my throat and it doesn't interfere with our daily lives, I don't give a shit if she believes in god. If it makes her happy, that makes me happy.
From some of your posts Nap , I can understand your Dad's contribution!!
Seriously, don't worry yourself, they obviously don't really care one way or the other, but choose the lazy option of paying a form of lip service to the idea.
My dad was not into religion in a big way, but my mum told me he did pray for me at some stage in our lives....fuck knows why he bothered, I would have told him not to bother!
my mum is still around at 96 . She knows more than my dad ever did about my atheism. She has been known to agree with me about it.
However, with ther grim reaper lurking, she still confessed to me that she believes in something after death and wants a minister at her funeral. I will have to comply but will do my best to make the event as religion-lite as possible.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(February 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Like mature adults? You seem to be assuming she doesn't have her reasons. As long as she isn't forcing it down my throat and it doesn't interfere with our daily lives, I don't give a shit if she believes in god. If it makes her happy, that makes me happy.

Would you say there's a good reason to believe? Or are we talking about her having a good reason not to talk about? If we're talking about the first one.. I'd love to hear it, I've yet to hear one.. If its the 2nd one then like I said, it's whatever if it isn't important for you two to talk about.
From my experience ive found people who believe tend to avoid the topic at all costs. and the few that want to talk are "Special"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I think my mother may be becoming an atheist, advice? IanHulett 22 5658 October 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Mother wants to start going to church... NemesisPrime 27 3623 August 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Atheist Group Forces Grieving Mother To Remove Roadside Cross Yahweh 46 12280 March 13, 2014 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An Atheist Mother's Promise... Erinome 19 4020 August 3, 2012 at 8:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko