Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Christians Stupid Or Just Ignorant and Delusional?
Are Christians Stupid Or Just Ignorant and Delusional?
Obviously there are Christians who have extremely high IQs and do work high up in the fields like science.

Does it make them stupid though to blindly believe what they do in spite of any evidence whatsoever?

RE: Are Christians Stupid Or Just Ignorant and Delusional?
All of the above?

(Actually, I suspect in many cases it just means they are lazy.)
I would like to point out ONCE AGAIN that neither atheism nor theism hold the monopoly on intelligence.

I will say that on a whole, most Christian sects promote a level of ignorance I find despicable - irresponsible at best.

On the other hand, there are atheists out there who boggle my mind with their sheer stupidity.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(February 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm)Xavier Wrote: Obviously there are Christians who have extremely high IQs and do work high up in the fields like science.

Does it make them stupid though to blindly believe what they do in spite of any evidence whatsoever?

All Christians who believe in the Bible do so by blatantly ignoring the truth that it is a highly contradicting and utterly absurd collection of fables.

They pretend that it could be made to make sense if one simply has enough faith to believe that it could be made to make sense.

Christianity requires only pretense and self-delusion.

It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!
I can only agree with delusional as the definition fits fine.

Stupid and Ignorant are ad hominem. However, as unpleasant the connotations are with delusional, its not an insult to the person, simply a description of an absolute conviction in a belief.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I think that many Christian scientists tend to keep following their religion out of a sense of tradition, as in their parents and their parents before them always believed, so they should too, not to mention that most of their family is also religious. Somehow they tend to compartmentalize their beliefs and find a way to be comfortable with the fact that reality contradicts the bible. I was not able to do this when I started thinking critically and came to the realization that Christianity was a bunch of myths made into lies.

It might also have something to do with a poll which showed that few Christians actually really believe all the tenets of their faith. They probably just go along with the whole "be good and go to heaven, go to church on Sunday" thing, but they don't get anywhere near fundie territory, nor do they probably read the bible or know what's in it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(February 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm)Xavier Wrote: Obviously there are Christians who have extremely high IQs and do work high up in the fields like science.

My physics professor is a Christian.

(February 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm)Xavier Wrote: Does it make them stupid though to blindly believe what they do in spite of any evidence whatsoever?

I wouldn't call him stupid, he is a very brilliant man. I'd say afraid is a better answer.

Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
(February 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote:

My physics professor is a Christian.

(February 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm)Xavier Wrote: Does it make them stupid though to blindly believe what they do in spite of any evidence whatsoever?

I wouldn't call him stupid, he is a very brilliant man. I'd say afraid is a better answer.

This is something I just don't understand.
Why wouldn't a scientist treat Christian beliefs with the same scientific method and need for evidence as they do to science.
It is just completely crazy to me that some brilliant sacientist could just go home after a days work and then start praying to Jesus.

Like I said, compartmentalization.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(February 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Like I said, compartmentalization.

I know but I find it completely bemusing because I can't do that.
I find myself completely unable to believe in myths without evidence.

In a way it would be a good skill to have to just believe in what u wanted.
I have suffered from depression in the past and it would've been good then if I could just decide to believe in some good things that weren't true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 1813 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2212 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7843 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7322 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Just how pervasive is white supremacy among Christians? Whateverist 36 4066 August 20, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 7034 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Are Christians delusional? This one is. Nihilist Virus 13 2231 July 10, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31283 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Creationist that Ken Ham calls "stupid" drfuzzy 3 1774 May 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2512 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic