Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herod The Great Did Not Finish The Temple
Herod The Great Did Not Finish The Temple
Interesting find. Roman coins issued by Valerius Gratus under the Western Wall.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2011112...IBFG3.html

Quote:JERUSALEM (AP) - Newly found coins underneath Jerusalem's Western Wall could change the accepted belief about the construction of one of the world's most sacred sites two millennia ago, Israeli archaeologists said Wednesday.

The man usually credited with building the compound known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary is Herod, a Jewish ruler who died in 4 B.C. Herod's monumental compound replaced and expanded a much older Jewish temple complex on the same site.

But archaeologists with the Israel Antiquities Authority now say diggers have found coins underneath the massive foundation stones of the compound's Western Wall that were stamped by a Roman proconsul 20 years after Herod's death. That indicates that Herod did not build the wall - part of which is venerated as Judaism's holiest prayer site - and that construction was not close to being complete when he died.

"The find changes the way we see the construction, and shows it lasted for longer than we originally thought," said the dig's co-director, Eli Shukron.

The four bronze coins were stamped around 17 A.D. by the Roman official Valerius Gratus.

Confirms a report by Josephus.

Gratus was Prefect of Judaea, though. He was not a "proconsul."

RE: Herod The Great Did Not Finish The Temple
I have been wondering after reading an article on jesusneverexisted.com whether or not the second jewish temple was really that big as Josephus states it was.

For example the Arch of Constantine was 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. While the porch of the second temple was estimated by Josephus to be at least 45.8 meters high.
undefined
Everything's bigger in Tex...er, Jerusalem.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Everything's bigger in Tex...er, Jerusalem.

Hey, don't be fuckin' with Texas or we will make sure Perry gets into office and you remember what happened last time we put some one in the oval office. Confusedhock:
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Quote:While the porch of the second temple was estimated by Josephus to be at least 45.8 meters high.

Some of Herod's building projects which do survive, are indicative of engineering on a monumental scale. Fortunately Josephus was a member of the priestly class at a time before the temple was destroyed.
He is one of those "eye-witnesses" that the xtians wish they had. Unlike the supposed eye-witnesses to jesus and his magic tricks, Josephus really did see the temple in all its glory. Without evidence that he was lying we are more or less stuck with his commentary.
(November 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm)IATIA Wrote: Hey, don't be fuckin' with Texas or we will make sure Perry gets into office and you remember what happened last time we put some one in the oval office. Confusedhock:

You do that and I'll find my Texas relatives to make you disappear.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Can you do that to all of Texas?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(November 25, 2011 at 3:45 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Can you do that to all of Texas?

They should've let the mexicans keep it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Why did the Mexicans fight so hard for the Alamo?

Four clean walls to write on.
The most interesting thing I know about the alamo is that ozzy osborne pissed on it.

Quote:While on tour in the US in the early 80s, Black Sabbath's frontman, Ozzy Osbourne, found himself with a full bladder and nowhere near a lavatory. Relieving himself against a nearby building, he was arrested by an irate cop, who told him he had been urinating on The Alamo, the icon of Texan independence. "Son, when you p**s on The Alamo, you p**s on the state of Texas," he was apparently told.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expecting a great meteor shower. brewer 11 2004 August 12, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Triceratops Great Great Great Great, etc. Granddaddy Minimalist 0 665 December 9, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A common denominator in great people Lemonvariable72 22 3225 April 23, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  NdGT is Great Minimalist 14 2350 March 8, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  6000 year old temple unearthed in Ukraine Jackalope 7 2745 October 22, 2014 at 6:19 pm
  The Great Debate. Zen Badger 44 9735 January 6, 2014 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Archaeologists unearth 'unparalleled' pre-Christian temple in Norway KichigaiNeko 3 2033 March 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Most Recent European Great Ape Discovered Justtristo 9 4013 January 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm
  Is 'faith' really a 'great cop-out'? CoxRox 126 50595 November 14, 2008 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet