Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does religious talk ever offend you?
Does religious talk ever offend you?
I came across this:

[Image: monicks-offended.jpg]

but personally, I disagree. I've never been offended by anything a believer has said because I frame everything in relation to their beliefs--which I view as silly. Even when they call me incapable of morals or quote the Bible calling me a fool, it doesn't phase me because it comes from a place of fiction.

I guess I more subscribe to this:

[Image: tumblr_m1awtuEbJT1qfjjglo1_500.png]

Do you get offended by believers? (or nonbelievers if you are a believer)
Writer for Deity Shmeity
RE: Does religious talk ever offend you?
Religious talk either annoys, bores or intrigues never offends.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Frustrated, bemused, disappointed and dumbfounded would all be words I would use to describe my feelings/thoughts to what they say.
(March 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Religious talk either annoys, bores or intrigues never offends.

Intrigues would be another word Big Grin
Offended isn't the word. Irritable certainly.

I defy anyone with reason not to be quite angry when they pass stupid laws thou. If you aren't, you have either mastered Zen or Apathy.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
It's not the message that offends me. It's the stupidity.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I have been offended by religious nonsense, but it doesn't offend me in general.

Two instances:

A certain someone telling my ex-husband that he hoped he made peace with god before he went to Iraq in case he died there. Terribly thoughtless and I am still irritated about it.

A family member stating loudly at my grandmother's wake that those of us who believe in Jesus will see her again. Don't know why, but that felt rather directed at me.

Very rare instances, but still offensive.
I am not offended. Seeing as religion is very childish and speaks of everything except the truth. After all it's just a belief and has no evidence to suggest that is has any bearing on reality what so ever.

I just point and laugh.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Things like the stuff in Shell B's post offend me, but generally I just find it annoying. What offends me more are their actions.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
Shell B Wrote:A family member stating loudly at my grandmother's wake that those of us who believe in Jesus will see her again. Don't know why, but that felt rather directed at me

Ugh...I absolutely hate it when the religious can't keep their beliefs to themselves at funerals. The preist that ran the funeral for my friend that committed suicide spent the whole time comparing him to Judas, who also committed suicided. It was just a veiled way of saying my friend was in hell now.

That was the day I went from indifference to disgust towards religion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
To offend - meaning to cause displeasure, annoyance, anger or resentment. So, if you feel any of these emotions, then you are offended. Why is that such a bad thing?

Your emotions are often the automatic response according to your most deeply held beliefs. Controlling them doesn't mean curbing them. If you are denying your emotions, you are devaluing the beliefs you live by. I think you should be offended - very much so. What you do with that feeling is another matter. Often I find it best to return in kind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5200 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6512 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2681 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Christianity Made Me Talk Like An Idiot Manowar 6 2699 June 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20782 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Have you ever actually heard an response that made you stop and think? jmoney_419 32 5444 September 23, 2016 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? FebruaryOfReason 458 52936 February 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Question If you were ever a theist... *Deidre* 347 50631 January 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Guys: Would you ever rape and murder a girl? Mark94xCPP 224 50147 December 22, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5430 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris