Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was pittied.
I was pittied.
Last week a co-worker told me that she pittied me for not believing in god. Another co-worker then asked me why I wasn't "out there just killing people and stealing what I wanted". It was this that got me motivated to seek out other people who might have my same beliefs. I live in Idaho (as you all know is on the forefront of free thinking and liberalism) Wink. I've never really discussed religion a whole lot but came to my beliefs on my own. Early on it was the basic realizations like if santas miracles are false why are jesus' real? Both of thier miracles can be disproved by science. Science was proved to me in school. Then I looked at the God works in mysterious ways argument about the travesties that we see or read about in the paper in other countries every day. Gods mysterious ways suck for a good percentage of the people in the world. He could on one hand heal a drug addict of cancer that then dies of an overdose later yet on the other hand lets many thousands die in cambodia under a communist regiem. So that is just a little about my belief history hope its not too boring. I would like to read and chat about what you all think. Nice to be here.
P.S. I run on a bit.
RE: I was pittied.
Hi SilentDon,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Instead of pitying you let them present evidence for the existense of their magical muppet. They claim he exists, so let them present you with convincing evidence or arguments for the existence of the god that is not found in the holy drivel.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
She is closed minded and would not even watch the video on youtube defending atheism because she saw that as devils work. The whole proving that he doesn't exist argument. You cannot discuss with a brick wall.
Hi Don

I feel sorry for you. Not because you don't believe in a god but because you seem to be living in a theist dominated society.

I can't even imagine what that must be like but I can assume it must be horrible. I can't think of much worse that a bunch of Bible bashing Christians ramming their deluded beliefs down your throat all the time.

You should come and live here where the only Christians I know (about 3 or 4) really couldn't care what you believe.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace Smile

(May 25, 2009 at 2:17 am)SilentDon Wrote: Gods mysterious ways suck for a good percentage of the people in the world.

Nicely put Smile

(May 25, 2009 at 2:17 am)SilentDon Wrote: P.S. I run on a bit.

You'll like Ev then LOL.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I am lucky to have an immediate family that is fairly intelligent. And I do love the beauty of the state I grew up in. I live near Boise and it is the one of the only bastians of liberalism in the state. If I have any animosity towards anyone here (besides the inbred racist Bush loving homophobe bigot hypocrits) it would be with the almost militant recruiters of the mormon church. I live in a town about twenty minutes from Boise. It is primarily hispanic. We are one of a very few white families in the area and when they send thier misionaries to our house they are always of hispanic descent. I don't understand this. If there was a god and he wanted to send a message to all of his people why wouldn't he send one who spoke all languages to each culture or present himself to every person at least to save himself that undeniable grade school concept of "telephone"?
Why are you angry Kyu?
(May 25, 2009 at 4:00 am)SilentDon Wrote: I live near Boise and it is the one of the only bastians of liberalism in the state.

The only thing I know about Boise is it was the name of a ship (our "Super Ship) in E. E. "Doc" Smith's "Triplanetary" ... very cool stuff.

(May 25, 2009 at 4:00 am)SilentDon Wrote: Why are you angry Kyu?

I'm not particularly (more, as our resident smart-theist Frodo says, of a Grumpy Old Man) but theists keep telling me I am so I adopted it Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Nice intro Don. And I don't think you 'run on' at all - I found it interesting, a good read - and most importantly, I feel for having to live with with all those mislead, ignorant; and often annoying theists.
(May 25, 2009 at 2:52 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Instead of pitying you let them present evidence for the existense of their magical muppet.

LOL - I gotta say, 'magical muppet' I fucking love that! LMFAO.

(May 25, 2009 at 3:51 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(May 25, 2009 at 2:17 am)SilentDon Wrote: Gods mysterious ways suck for a good percentage of the people in the world.

Nicely put Smile

I agree - cool way of putting it. His ways are mysterious but how the fuck is that a good thing if the world is such a fucked-up place and he's supposed to be the one in command?

He'd make/he makes a crap babysitter.

(May 25, 2009 at 2:17 am)SilentDon Wrote: P.S. I run on a bit.
Kyu Wrote:You'll like Ev then LOL.

Kyu

Lol hehe. Tongue

EvF
Don, I feel your pain.... I live in the Bible Belt (Louisiana) where religion comes first before anything else.
I've been told that same reply on pity. It truly depends on the person that tells me this, on whether or not I react back.

There is no arguing with people who believe that way, but if you do want to make a point, I would make it known just how arrogant they are coming off.

The arrogance that they "Know" what happens after death and what will supposedly happen to you. Doesn't really matter their reply back.....You said your peace and that's all that matters in the end when dealing with self-righteous twits that believe they are Mother Theresa in what they think is saving someones soul...

Welcome to the forums.......
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
I wish we could do more than to type to each other how badly religion affects people everywhere. Why don't we start a propoganda campaign to teach this?