Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long time atheist, first time poster...
Long time atheist, first time poster...
I am an atheist. I live in St. Louis, MO.

I grew up in a secular home that celebrated Christmas and Easter, just without any of the unnecessary religious overtones. I was always allowed to go with my friends to Sunday School or church, which I did from time to time because I wanted to hang out with those friends, not because I ever had any serious interest in the message. I found out my mother is an atheist when I was twelve, and I would guess that at least 50% of my extended family are also atheists, with probably another 49% of them just being secular but sort of uninterested/non-committal. So basically, aside from growing up in a very religious part of the country, I had it fairly easy. I came to officially call myself an atheist when I was around 18 or 19, after I had read "Billions & Billions" by Carl Sagan. Considering my upbringing, and thus the fact that it wasn't technically a "conversion," it was actually a quite painful process, and in hindsight I think that was just because I had never seriously considered my own beliefs before and had internalized a lot more religious stuff than I thought I had. At any rate, I'm feeling much better now. Big Grin

My wife grew up in an evangelical Church of Christ home. She was homeschooled from fourth grade on, and her three siblings were all homeschooled their entire lives. She was as skeptical as one could be in that environment, but now as an adult, she has basically rejected in full her parents' belief systems, as well as their politics. Though she is not willing to call herself an atheist most of the time, she is no longer interested in having religion in her life in any meaningful way and generally lives a secular existence. Our relationship, though, has proven to be helpful to me in many ways as she is my window into that world, and though I don't pester her as much anymore, I used to bounce questions off of her all the time in the hopes that she could explain to me why it is that religious people hold certain beliefs, how they rationalize seemingly insane things, and why their politics so often seem in direct opposition to the basic tenets of their faith. I should also mention that I have a great relationship with her family, and that they are wonderful, supportive and respectful people. They just happen to be wrong. Tongue

Anyway, greetings to all.
RE: Long time atheist, first time poster...
Hi, Ed

Welcome to our little asylum.
Thanks for joining us, Ed!
Hello and welcome.
Welcome
Welcome aboard the crazy train, Ed.
Welcome! Big Grin
Hello, welcome to AF.org, please take off your shoes, i've just shampooed the carpet. The dog shat on it.
Welcome, Ed.
Welcome.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life long atheist MR. Macabre 666 19 1297 May 25, 2023 at 8:51 am
Last Post: brewer
  Long time no see Kingpin 27 2189 May 18, 2023 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2077 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member, Long Time Atheist fromdownunder 21 3101 August 18, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Long time, no see. 8BitAtheist 32 4067 November 18, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: 8BitAtheist
Tongue A long-time lurker says hello Ludwig 22 3884 November 4, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  Long time Atheist, new member here! AceBoogie 17 4462 March 13, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  New here and pretty depressed (Kinda long) KrystalVisions 10 2901 March 7, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Newbie (long post) Dorian Gray 19 4238 January 1, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  new thread long time converted fojo 12 1871 November 9, 2014 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aractus