Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Smile 
Hello
Hi!

I've come here to chat about religion and such. I am 23 years old, a rather devout Catholic, currently in a PhD program for molecular biology, though I am discerning religious life and becoming an apostolic sister. Heart I was a strong atheist for a long while, and converted to Catholicism relatively recently, though Islam and Orthodox Christianity also came close.

I also quite like history, nature, geography and cooking.

Looking forward to talking with you all.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart
RE: Hello
Hello and welcome!

Sadly you couldn't have picked a worse one than Catholicism, hopefully you'll do well with your PhD studies though! Molecular biology is fascinating.
Welcome. If I'm not mistaken, you are/were a frequent poster at AF.com?
Welcome to AF!

What on Earth went wrong? Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 10, 2012 at 2:34 am)Welsh cake Wrote: Hello and welcome!

Sadly you couldn't have picked a worse one than Catholicism, hopefully you'll do well with your PhD studies though! Molecular biology is fascinating.

Thank you for the welcome!

Needless to say I disagree about Catholicism. Molecular biology is extremely fascinating but I won't lie, I am torn between just becoming a sister ASAP or just finishing up my studies first. Its considered very poor form to stop your PhD early since your PI is depending on you, and of course becoming a sister means giving up property, freedom, and your ability to have a family, so I do want to be sure first and I'm trying to "enjoy" these things while I have a chance....but at the same time my heart really aches to just join them already! And the most devout and traditional orders have the strictest age requirements too.

(May 10, 2012 at 2:38 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Welcome. If I'm not mistaken, you are/were a frequent poster at AF.com?

Thank you for the welcome. You aren't mistaken at all, who is this? I don't know what I'll do without a Guinness smiley!

(May 10, 2012 at 3:47 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Welcome to AF!

What on Earth went wrong? Big Grin

Thanks for the welcome!

I think even when I was atheist I had a certain sort of love of comparative religion (still do), and learning about all the different traditions and ways of conceiving the divine. Outside of the obvious key issues, like gay rights, I never really was anti-religion, I just didn't see how it was possible. I eventually educated myself into a weak atheism stance (or agnostic atheism if you prefer), then I was sort of a weak off-and-on Abrahamic monotheist and the rest is history.

An atheist once told me I was never really an atheist, I was just a dormant Catholic waiting to awaken. I don't think I have ever been paid a more lovely compliment, even if it wasn't intended that way! Big Grin

Heart
(May 10, 2012 at 4:47 am)Aiza Wrote: Thanks for the welcome!

I think even when I was atheist I had a certain sort of love of comparative religion (still do), and learning about all the different traditions and ways of conceiving the divine. Outside of the obvious key issues, like gay rights, I never really was anti-religion, I just didn't see how it was possible. I eventually educated myself into a weak atheism stance (or agnostic atheism if you prefer), then I was sort of a weak off-and-on Abrahamic monotheist and the rest is history.

An atheist once told me I was never really an atheist, I was just a dormant Catholic waiting to awaken. I don't think I have ever been paid a more lovely compliment, even if it wasn't intended that way! Big Grin

The reason why I wondered, is because I'm curious why well educated persons (being in an university myself, I've come across quite a few) still believe in a deity. I guess it's something so profoundly personal, that I will never understand it, but nevertheless it intrigues me. Smile

Molecular biology, eh? Well, it's always great to have theists here, when talking about certain sciences, who won't come across as stupid and ignorant because they never bothered to look things up or educate themselves. Big Grin

When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Why choose the most disgusting and corrupt religion possible? Welcome.
Welcome, Aiza. I have a Catholic wife, but she was raised that way. I have to ask, why convert to Catholicism, especially in these times when people are leaving the church in droves?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Thank you or the welcome!

(May 10, 2012 at 5:08 am)Kayenneh Wrote: The reason why I wondered, is because I'm curious why well educated persons (being in an university myself, I've come across quite a few) still believe in a deity. I guess it's something so profoundly personal, that I will never understand it, but nevertheless it intrigues me. Smile

Molecular biology, eh? Well, it's always great to have theists here, when talking about certain sciences, who won't come across as stupid and ignorant because they never bothered to look things up or educate themselves. Big Grin

Hahaha, well in my years working in various labs, I've met plenty of Christians, Hindus and Muslims. It's certainly more diverse.
(May 10, 2012 at 8:38 am)Faith No More Wrote: Welcome, Aiza. I have a Catholic wife, but she was raised that way. I have to ask, why convert to Catholicism, especially in these times when people are leaving the church in droves?

Catholicism is actually growing slightly worldwide iirc, but to be honest that really had no bearing on it. Evangelical Christianity is the fastest growing Christian branch, but I have zero interest in it, because it lacks the Marks of the Church and connections to the Apostles/Jesus. These are what ultimately drew me to Catholicism.

Most of the people "leaving" the Church were already inactive members, the fastest aging religious orders and such are those which abandoned all tradition and community post Vatican II. I personally haven't met any and my parish is actually growing quite rapidly. I don't mind driving a half hour for Holy Mass.

The only benefit to being a member of such a large religion is that I can use my knowledge of Catholicism and say "well according to the majority of Christianity....", and if Catholicism ever goes below 50% I won't be able to do that anymore. Tongue

Heart
Welcome. So what 'education' was it that led you to conclude Catholicism was correct?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5994 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3647 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates