Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Medicine
Alternative Medicine
I went on a few websites promoting alternative meds, (I can't find it now) and reading about it, I'm getting a kind of Nazi vibe...

They say how western medicine is bad for you and that all the machinery that people work with are affecting them physically because of "toxic radio waves", or something.
The repeated phrase was, "This is scary stuff, people!" o_o;; Yeah, 'specially when you're saying that over and over...

And the "organic" foods! What's all the hype about it? I mean, all the genetically grown (cloned) animals for food and the pesticides and herbicides in our fruits and vegetables--is that all a bad thing?? I mean, yeah I can understand that people would get angry about all the greasey foods everyone gorges themselves on but, 1), it's their life, and 2), they have a choice to eat healthier and get some physical activity in their routines.

If I haven't made anything clear, I apologize ahead of time. (lol)

What's you guys's take on all this alty-meds and organic food?
RE: Alternative Medicine
Fanatics of all stripes need to be avoided, imo.

I eat a healthy diet,which was tailored for me by a dietician; small amounts of animal protein( by Australian standards),Low GI carbs, fresh where possible..Avoid processed foods of all kinds as much as I can.

BUT I use alternative medicines after consultation with my doctor;EG Vitamin D to help with my osteoporosis, fish oils for arthritis and heart. I've also had positive results with acupuncture and chiropractic for treatment of debilitating chronic back pain.

I will use whatever works, even it happens to be a broad spectrum placebo.Cool Shades

I do not usually use the internet as a prime source of information.
Chiropractic treatment for back problems isn't alternative medicine; trying to treat ear infections with it is. Acupuncture I tried back when I was ill-informed, but it didn't work anyway. Also tried homeopathy before realizing it was just water.
(June 14, 2009 at 12:39 am)Tiberius Wrote: Chiropractic treatment for back problems isn't alternative medicine; trying to treat ear infections with it is. Acupuncture I tried back when I was ill-informed, but it didn't work anyway. Also tried homeopathy before realizing it was just water.

I'd have to disagree (or at least hold fire on giving my assent) as to the claimed value of chiropractics (and so would Ben Goldacre) as I don't think believe there is any real empirical evidence that it works just yet and that they are currently suing Simon Singh for criticising them only adds to my suspicion that it is bogus science.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote:Chiropractic treatment for back problems isn't alternative medicine;

Chiropractic is in fact considered bogus by the mainstream medical profession.

From Wiki

Quote:Chiropractic is a health care approach and profession that emphasizes diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine, under the hypothesis that these disorders affect general health via the nervous system.[1] It is generally considered to be complementary and alternative medicine,[2] a characterization that many chiropractors reject.[3] The main treatment involves manual therapy including manipulation of the spine, other joints, and soft tissue; treatment also includes exercises and health and lifestyle counseling.[4] Traditionally, chiropractic assumes that a vertebral subluxation or spinal joint dysfunction interferes with the body's function and its innate intelligence,[5] a notion that brings ridicule from mainstream science and medicine.[6]

Quote:Chiropractic was founded in the 1890s by Daniel David (D.D.) Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. Palmer, a magnetic healer, hypothesized that manual manipulation of the spine could cure disease. Chiropractic competed with its predecessor osteopathy, another medical system based on magnetic healing and founded by a charismatic midwesterner in opposition to conventional medicine; however, where osteopathic postulated improved blood flow via manipulation, chiropractic postulated improved neural transmissions.[83] Although initially keeping chiropractic a family secret, in 1898 Palmer began teaching it to a few students at his new Palmer School of Chiropractic. One student, his son Bartlett Joshua (B.J.) Palmer, became committed to promoting chiropractic, took over the Palmer School in 1906, and rapidly expanded its enrollment.[7] Prosecutions and incarcerations of chiropractors for practicing medicine without a license grew common, and to defend against medical statutes B.J. argued that chiropractic was separate and distinct from medicine, asserting that chiropractors "analyzed" rather than "diagnosed", and "adjusted" subluxations rather than "treated" disease.[26] Early chiropractors believed that all disease was caused by interruptions in the flow of innate intelligence, a vital nervous energy or life force that represented God's presence in man; chiropractic leaders often invoked religious imagery and moral traditions. D.D. and B.J. both seriously considered declaring chiropractic a religion, which might have provided legal protection under the U.S. constitution, but decided against it partly to avoid confusion with Christian Science.[7][84] Early chiropractors also tapped into the Populist movement, emphasizing craft, hard work, competition, and advertisement, aligning themselves with the common man against intellectuals and trusts, among which they included the American Medical Association (AMA).[7]

The claims behind chiropractic indicate an ignorance of basic anatomy and the nervous system. I tried it in desperation ,after talking with my doctor who agreed it's nonsense,but added " a good chiropractor can do wonders" It seemed to work,as did acupuncture. I can only conclude that I can be rather suggestible.
(June 14, 2009 at 4:42 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I'd have to disagree (or at least hold fire on giving my assent) as to the claimed value of chiropractics (and so would Ben Goldacre) as I don't think believe there is any real empirical evidence that it works just yet and that they are currently suing Simon Singh for criticising them only adds to my suspicion that it is bogus science.
They are suing Simon Singh because he claimed (quite rightly, and as I said above) that Chiropractic treatments for the inner ear are bogus. What I'm talking about is that their massage techniques do work to alleviate back pain. I'd gladly have all the Chiropractic clinics converted into massage parlors Big Grin

@padriac

I agree, the actual "science" is bogus, but all chiropractors have training in massage therapy, which is the only legitimate part of their business.
(June 14, 2009 at 11:13 am)Tiberius Wrote: I'd gladly have all the Chiropractic clinics converted into massage parlors

Will they have wimin in erotic clothing?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Sure, why not? Big Grin
Damn't Kyu, you beat me to it...LOLOLOL..

I just don't believe I want a "Happy Ending" before or after the massage.....Unless...........lol
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
As a matter of fact a scientific method has been used (double blind randomized studies) to try to prove the efficiency of some alternative medical treatments :
- acupuncture has been proven efficient for some kinds of back and neck pains (post-traumatic) (effect higher than placebo)
- homeopathy never got any results

But, as the placebo effect of a lot of these treatments is so high (with a little if no side effects) they are interesting (but you have to "believe" it's going to do you some good or it wouldn't work) (personally I prefer "shopping therapy" "bitching therapy" "tekken therapy"...)

A good advice (from a doctor and friend of mine): if someone you trust advises you to try this or that, why not? if it doesn't work after 3 sessions it won't work after 30! If it doesn't work after you spent 300.- it won't work after you spent 3000.-! easy to follow

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird medicine. brewer 6 438 February 6, 2021 at 8:41 am
Last Post: brewer
  Quackery in Mainstream Medicine brewer 1 584 January 28, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Modern medicine - still the third leading cause of death John V 108 9790 July 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Non Traditional Medicine polar bear 41 8470 March 21, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Prayer Medicine Dragonetti 9 3298 April 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Faith: Preferred or Not in Medicine? Gawdkins 4 1291 March 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Musings on Alternative Medicine thesummerqueen 0 802 November 4, 2011 at 10:08 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen