Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello,

My name is Niels I am 21 years old and comes from Denmark.
For the last couple of years I have been working but this fall I am going to start studying at a university.

I´m not atheist but Asatru/Heathen - worshiping old Norse gods.

I do not come here to start any fights I just want to broaden my perspective on things.

Regards
~Niels

RE: Hello
Welcome, Gaest. You worship the old Norse gods, eh? I think those are the ones I'd choose if I could bring myself to believe in myths. Do you actually believe that Thor and friends are real? Why?
(May 25, 2012 at 8:37 am)Gaest Wrote: Hello,

My name is Niels I am 21 years old and comes from Denmark.
For the last couple of years I have been working but this fall I am going to start studying at a university.

I´m not atheist but Asatru/Heathen - worshiping old Norse gods.

I do not come here to start any fights I just want to broaden my perspective on things.

Regards
~Niels

Welcome, I love Norse mythology. Can I have my brother Baldur back please?
Hiya Gaest and welcome! Finally, a fellow Scandinavian! \o/

So, which áss is your favorite one? Big Grin
I give Norse myth as much credibility as all the other ones, but I have to say that I generally like the stories better. Especially the one when Loki and Thor cross-dressed and conned Thrymr to get Mjölnir back.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Did Fenrir like the taste of Tyr's hand? Inquiring minds want to know.
Well, there are those that believe the mystical zombie jew, that killed himself (or killed his son, depends of the trinity bullshit) to redeem our sins. Hmmmm yeah, you don't sound that crazy after all.

Welcome
Welcome, Gaest, hope you like it here.
(May 25, 2012 at 8:44 am)Paul the Human Wrote: Welcome, Gaest. You worship the old Norse gods, eh? I think those are the ones I'd choose if I could bring myself to believe in myths. Do you actually believe that Thor and friends are real? Why?

Cool, thanks for the welcome Smile

Well, yes.
It´s not something I think a lot about though... You don´t really have to believe at all since it is the physical actions which counts - giving the sacrifice, saying the right words, toasting, feasting and so on.

Why? Good question. I am not really spiritual or anything (I don´t believe in duality or a soul).
I entered the milieu at 17 years old searching for someone to discuss my interest in history and early Medieval literature with - my other friends were not really interested in that.
By chance I found a group of reasonable and knowledgeable people and attended their study groups. I got invited to their rituals and enjoyed the companionship and seeing how the sources we discussed were being incorporated in the religion.

What started as a fascination of history eventually became a religion... Now it´s what I do. I sacrifice with the groups I am a part of around 4-6 times a year, for a good year and peace, and I think it benefits the lives of me and mine.

I´m sorry to bother you with my life story but the ”why?” is not that I needed a religion but rather that I, out of my interest, became religious over a period of several years...

Btw, this is my 0.2. ”Asatru” is such a diverse group that the term is used by pretty much by anyone with an interest in the Norse gods... Just don´t expect other Asatru to have the same ideas, practices and believes as I have.
(May 25, 2012 at 10:01 am)Gaest Wrote: Just don´t expect other Asatru to have the same ideas, practices and believes as I have.

Don't take this as offensive, but it sounds pretty much as the christians, to the exception that for them anyone thinking just a bit different isn't a true christian™.
(May 25, 2012 at 8:44 am)Phil Wrote: Welcome, I love Norse mythology. Can I have my brother Baldur back please?

Thanks for the welcome.

No you may not Tongue

(May 25, 2012 at 9:02 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Hiya Gaest and welcome! Finally, a fellow Scandinavian! \o/

So, which áss is your favorite one? Big Grin
I give Norse myth as much credibility as all the other ones, but I have to say that I generally like the stories better. Especially the one when Loki and Thor cross-dressed and conned Thrymr to get Mjölnir back.

Hej Hej Smile

Hvor er du fra?

Thor is my favorite.
I too think that it is an awesome storyWink

(May 25, 2012 at 9:16 am)Phil Wrote: Did Fenrir like the taste of Tyr's hand?

Donno

(May 25, 2012 at 10:04 am)LastPoet Wrote: Don't take this as offensive, but it sounds pretty much as the christians, to the exception that for them anyone thinking just a bit different isn't a true christian™.

No problem Smile

The reason I wrote it is that I don´t want to give the impression that what I write is a "guide" to Asatru - or that it necessarily contains all encompassing features (outside of the gods). I respect other opinions and approaches and I apologize if what I wrote before suggests otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6015 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates