Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists and suicide
Atheists and suicide
I've sometimes wondered if suicide rates are higher amongst atheists, once ultimate meaning in life is removed suicide can be rationalized. Interesting little article I found.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article....urnalID=13
RE: Atheists and suicide
Well, durr. If one believes in sin, an afterlife and eternal suffering, one would not tend to think that ending one's life would end one's suffering, would they?

In other news, studies show that water is wet.
It is statistically true that areas with more church/mosque/synagogue/temple etc attendance rates have lower suicide rates, it is almost certainly nothing to do with believing in god. Depressed people are less likely to want to attend church etc. , and going to places of worship regularly gives you a support group. Another group of people with higher suicide rates are homosexuals, who have lower attendance rates due to religious homophobia.

It is probably the disdain many theists hold for atheists that makes it harder for atheists to find a support group.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
I think it also has something to do no inherent meaning in an atheist's life. An atheist has to struggle with the question, 'does my life have a meaning?' while the theist get's to jumpn right to 'what is the meaning of my life, as dictated by god?'
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I think it also has something to do no inherent meaning in an atheist's life. An atheist has to struggle with the question, 'does my life have a meaning?' while the theist get's to jumpn right to 'what is the meaning of my life, as dictated by god?'

Why can't your life have meaning without God?
(June 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(June 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I think it also has something to do no inherent meaning in an atheist's life. An atheist has to struggle with the question, 'does my life have a meaning?' while the theist get's to jumpn right to 'what is the meaning of my life, as dictated by god?'

Why can't your life have meaning without God?

That is what he is getting at. We just have to dwell on it a bit longer. Tongue
Cunt
(June 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm)frankiej Wrote: That is what he is getting at. We just have to dwell on it a bit longer. Tongue

Hmm...it has meaning to you, to friends, to parents, to family, and to humanity. Humans in general want others to live a good life.

So even if not for yourself, do it for others, do it for humanity, because humanity in general wants you to live a good life.

I have to admit that there were points in life where I was looking for a sense of meaning. Eventually found it of course and between then and now I've always been happy.
I guess some people find it tougher than others.

I guess it depends on how you look at life and what meaning you can draw from it. Personally I can't see much meaning in praying and hoping for another one after this. Seems kinda sad and pointless. I see life as a journey and it's all about what you do during this journey that matters, not the destination. You don't want to reach the destination because it'll mean the end of the journey Undecided
Plus, there's no guarantee of another life. There may not be another journey.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
This thread is depressing. Nonetheless, I would take a higher risk of suicide over a life of lies.
Mystic Knight Wrote:Why can't your life have meaning without God?

It can, but first the atheist must decide whether or not their life can have any meaning at all. This is a step that theists get to skip.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1923 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4478 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2202 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do you believe that only mentally ill people commit suicide? leodeo 35 8539 January 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Atheism and suicide L.A.F. 23 12509 May 6, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' leo-rcc 227 143998 September 1, 2009 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Amphora