Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poverty in the USA is a scandal
Poverty in the USA is a scandal
I was watching a episode of BBC's Panorama just recently and frankly what it reported about poverty in the USA is bad enough. However what is a bigger scandal in my opinion, is the response a lot of political leaders in the USA have towards this poverty.

Non Americans on here need to watch this Panorama Episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZqaXd0uRg
undefined
RE: Poverty in the USA is a scandal
Poverty existing anywhere on this planet is a scandal.
(June 11, 2012 at 9:02 am)StatCrux Wrote: Poverty existing anywhere on this planet is a scandal.

Well the USA is supposed to be the world's wealthiest nation, so it has little excuse to ensure that 1.5 million children aren't homeless, that everyday people aren't sleeping in drains or that millions of people often go hungry every day.
undefined
Sadly it isn't just in the US Sad
Australia isn't much better Trist Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Our being the wealthiest nation has more to do with the effect of particularly industrious or ingenuous individuals having a talent for amassing wealth unto themselves and how this effects the overall picture of wealth represented by statistics and averages. It doesn't make any one of us decent..lol. We don't seem to need an excuse for apathy, it's a feature, not a bug.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Poverty a scandal? Poverty and destitution is a tragic, but inevitable consequence of reality. We can't stamp it out.

(June 11, 2012 at 9:12 am)Justtristo Wrote: Well the USA is supposed to be the world's wealthiest nation
The United States is not the wealthiest nation. Going by gross domestic product at purchasing power parity per capita, the USA is in the top ten, but not the richest in the list of countries.
Hmn, good to know. So when do we get to start pointing at those evil materialistic nations that have surpassed us? I'd be glad for a minor break in the onslaught of derogatory remarks..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Too many Americans, inlcuding those in charge, think that poverty only exists because all poor people are just lazy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
In fairness, I don't think that's a misconception limited to Americans at all....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1003 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Some Iranian commanded Attack to USA . AVMXF 47 2541 August 25, 2023 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Sovereign citizen - more Loony Tunes in the USA Ferrocyanide 20 1992 March 20, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Yellow alert: warning USA in danger Eclectic 105 8022 November 25, 2022 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 934 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1730 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1292 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1117 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 381 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 840 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp