Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches taunt the IRS by violating 501-c laws on political activism
Churches taunt the IRS by violating 501-c laws on political activism
Pastor Jim Garlow will stand before congregants at his 2,000-seat Skyline Wesleyan Church in La Mesa, California, on Sunday, October 7, just weeks before the U.S. presidential and congressional elections, and urge his flock to vote for or against particular candidates.

He knows such pulpit pleading could endanger his church's tax-exempt status by violating IRS rules for a 501©(3) charitable organization. A charity can take a position on policy issues but cannot act "on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office." To cross that line puts the $7 million mega-church's tax break at risk.

Even so, Garlow not only intends to break the rules, he also plans to spend the next four months recruiting other pastors to do the same as part of Pulpit Freedom Sunday. On that day each year since 2008, ministers intentionally try to provoke the IRS. Some even send DVD recordings of their sermons to the agency.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...o-far?lite
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Churches taunt the IRS by violating 501-c laws on political activism
This really fucking pisses me off. Those fuckers won't be satisfied until we are living in a theocracy.

This part really pissed me off.

Quote:Participants want to force the matter to court as a freedom of speech and religion issue.

This is not a freedom of speech nor a freedom of religion issue. This is about them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. You want to spout political rhetoric from the pulpit? Pay some fucking taxes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Baiting them? What the hell is going on?

Someone wake up the IRS for goodness sake, or at least poke them with a stick to make sure they're not all dead.
The only way this ends is if the IRS actually starts taking away those tax-exempt statuses.
I'm having a similar argument to this on my Facebook page. These assholes really need put in their place - they want a place in the processes of the land - that means all or nothing. It's the sneaky, bullying and underhanded tactics that really sicken me. They're the ultimate politicians.
With the amount of churches in america taking away all their tax exempt status might see you through the bad times.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Baiting them? What the hell is going on?

Someone wake up the IRS for goodness sake, or at least poke them with a stick to make sure they're not all dead.

They're not dead. Just this year they made deep cuts into the things I could deduct as a home business.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

They need to refocus their attention, there's a lot more revenue to be gained from law-breaking churches.
(June 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: They're not dead. Just this year they made deep cuts into the things I could deduct as a home business.
Ah yes, attacking the economy and coming after local businesses to balance the deficient instead of giving us all a well deserved tax relief or break after the banks royally fucked up and caused global financial meltdown.

You're not alone, if that's any comfort.

You have the IRS, we have HMRC.

Self-serving fucking idiots.
(June 22, 2012 at 10:05 am)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: He knows such pulpit pleading could endanger his church's tax-exempt status by violating IRS rules for a 501©(3) charitable organization.

How in the hell do churches qualify as "charitable organizations"? They're in the BUSINESS of selling religion! If I give money to the Cancer Society, I know my money is being used for cancer research. If I give my money to the Red Cross I know it's being used to help people displaced by disasters. If I give my money to a church.... I have no clue what it's being used for!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1383 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What to do with all the empty churches? I_am_not_mafia 22 4439 March 30, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Religious Freedom laws and adoptions!!! Britney blue 20 3521 June 15, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  How many churches in your town? Norman Humann 50 7377 January 29, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The church to end all churches Twiger 22 5167 May 26, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  What really happens in churches xpastor 20 4258 March 3, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Fuck Churches themonkeyman 56 14056 October 26, 2013 at 4:40 am
Last Post: Aractus
  The Xtian Taliban: Rape and Domestic Violence Laws a Plot! Minimalist 3 1616 September 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why I hate the protection from the law which churches give their members. Something completely different 11 6066 February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Something completely different