Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses
The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses
1 Corinthians 8:5-6 Wrote:5 For even though there are those who are called “gods,” whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him.

Wikipedia Wrote:Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[5][6] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[6][7]

Merriam Webster Wrote:Definition of GOD
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler
See god defined for English-language learners »
See god defined for kids »
Examples of GOD

Does she believe in God?
I pray to God that no one was seriously injured in the accident.
the gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt
a myth about the god of war
an offering for the gods
a professor who was regarded as a kind of god
a guitar god like Jimi Hendrix

Atheists are a peculiar thinking people. If you try and define atheism they will angrily tell you that to be an atheist simply means that one doesn't believe in the existence of a god or gods. If you tell them that you were once an atheist they will angrily tell you that you must not have been a "real" atheist. This has happened to me dozens of times.

If you tell an atheist that according to the Bible and a good modern dictionary a god can be anything or anyone they will say you are distorting definitions to suit your own paradigm and your are intellectually dishonest or disingenuous. The fact is, atheists tend to be extremely emotionally fixed upon their idealism, even more so than the religious, and they tend to be grossly ignorant of the Bible because they oppose modern day Christianity and to a lesser extent, any other theology.

This is my attempt to educate the atheists on what exactly a god, or deity is. God, Gods, Goddesses. The primary argument is that atheism is the disbelief of gods, it denies the existence of gods. The methodology consists of nothing more than the practical common usage of the word God, but no such distinction within the basic tenant of atheism is given, besides, the common usage of a word doesn't negate the other possible uses. The other defense is that the other gods are metaphorical. This is false, because all gods are equally metaphorical in application. The very root of the Hebrew and Greek words for gods indicates this.

What Is A God

The Hebrew word El and variations of it are translated into the English word God. It means "Mighty; Strong." The Greek word theos is the equivalent, and was used to translate El, Elohim, etc. in the Greek Septuagint of the Hebrew scriptures. When the Hebrew El appears with the definite article ha (ha El, literally meaning "the God") in the Bible it was in reference strictly to Jehovah, but the various terms used without the definite article may be applied to Jehovah, to other gods, to men.

Isaiah 9:6 Wrote:For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God [Hebrew El Gibbohr], Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 is a prophecy of Jesus Christ, who was a man, and is called a mighty God.

Psalm 82:1, 6 Wrote:God [Hebrew Elohim] is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods [Hebrew elohim] he judges: "I myself have said, 'You are gods [Hebrew elohim], And all of you are sons of the Most High.'"

Here Jehovah God calls the human judges of Israel, some of whom were faithful and some of whom were not, gods.

John 10:34, 35 Wrote:Jesus answered them: "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said: "You are gods [Greek theoi, Hebrew elohim]?'" If he called 'gods' those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified,

Here Jesus is faced with the same sort of religiosity that the modern day atheist, under the influence of the modern day misguided theist, displays. A poor understanding and almost superstitious definition of what it means to be a god. He corrects them with their own sacred text, Psalm 82:1, 6, given above.

Exodus 4:16; 7:1 Wrote:And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God [Hebrew lelohim] to him. Consequently Jehovah said to Moses: "See, I have made you God [Hebrew elohim] to Pharaoh, and Aaron your own brother will become your prophet."

Here again Jehovah God refers to a man, Moses, as an appointed God to Pharaoh and to Aaron. All of these verses of men being gods simply mean that they are mighty, strong. Because that is what the word god means. Anything or anyone who is attributed might or is venerated by another. So Jehovah was the God of Israel, meaning he was mighty to Israel, he was venerated by Israel. Dagon was the god [elohim] to the Philistines. (1 Samuel 5:7)

The problem is that atheists as well as most theists see this as some sort of metaphoric distinction, and that isn't the case. They see the one true God negating the others as false and that isn't necessarily so. Some gods of the nations were "valueless gods" in Jehovah's eyes and supposedly to the faithful Israelites, but that didn't mean that all of the other gods were false, or even that any of them were any less of a god in the eyes of the beholder, because that is what a God is. Something or someone with might or strength in the eyes of the beholder.

Why The Confusion?

Jeremiah 23:27 Wrote:They are thinking of making my people forget my name by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Baal.

There is some confusion, though note that the above definition of a god from a modern dictionary is really in line with what I'm saying a god is. The confusion is caused by the superstitious removal of Jehovah God's name from the scriptures by the Sopherim. The Sopherim, or scribes, changed 134 passages in the Hebrew texts to read Adhonai [Generic term LORD] in place of the tetragrammaton, YHWH, Jehovah God's personal name. They did this in a superstitious attempt to prevent the common man from profaning the name. So when you see LORD in all upper case it is where the name has been removed.

Afterwards, the generic title of God became somewhat distorted into being applied exclusively to the God of Israel. The God of the Bible. This is the equivalent of saying you don't believe in man because Adam probably didn't exist.
RE: The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses
Oh Noez!!
Bible quotez!!
My eyes! Arrrrrrggh!!

Yeah, but seriously? Throw your holy book out. It proves God like my copy of Hansel and Grettel proves witchs.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
RE: The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses
(July 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm)Skepsis Wrote: Oh Noez!!
Bible quotez!!
My eyes! Arrrrrrggh!!

Yeah, but seriously? Throw your holy book out. It proves God like my Hansel and Grettel book proves witchs.

But Hansel And Grettel doesn't have the political influence the Bible seems to have been unfortunate to have been abused in the name of by the ignorant masses, does it?

Oh. And the Bible proves witches far better than H&G. Endor, for example.
(July 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm)The Theist Wrote:
Bible quotez!!
My eyes! Arrrrrrggh!!

Yeah, but seriously? Throw your holy book out. It proves God like my Hansel and Grettel book proves witchs.

But Hansel And Grettel doesn't have the political influence the Bible seems to have been unfortunate to have been abused in the name of by the ignorant masses, does it?

Oh. And the Bible proves witches far better than H&G. Endor, for example.

Are you serious? And I mean that sincerely. Not as an expression of disgust, but one of personal increduality and shock. Am I missing the sarcasm? Is this another "bit"?
I'll take you seriously depending on your answer.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
(July 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm)The Theist Wrote: Oh. And the Bible proves witches far better than H&G. Endor, for example.

Oh yeah, well explain how Chewbacca lives on Endor! That makes NO sense.
Bible quotez!!
My eyes! Arrrrrrggh!!

Yeah, but seriously? Throw your holy book out. It proves God like my copy of Hansel and Grettel proves witchs.

This is the laziest counterargument I've ever seen. It's just a slightly-rephrased version of "The Bible isn't true", which is just as lazy an argument as saying "The Bible is true". And it's just as convincing.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(July 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: This is the laziest counterargument I've ever seen.

How dare you. I put, at most, half as much effort into my reply.
(July 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm)CliveStaples Wrote:
Bible quotez!!
My eyes! Arrrrrrggh!!

This is the laziest counterargument I've ever seen. It's just a slightly-rephrased version of "The Bible isn't true", which is just as lazy an argument as saying "The Bible is true". And it's just as convincing.

It's a slightly rephrased version of "The Bible isn't a valid sourse if it is being used to prove a God."
You obviously didn't understand what it was I was trying to get across.
I guess I'll get over it, like I always do when theists make blatant mistakes...
-Bertrand Russell
(July 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm)Tempus Wrote:
(July 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm)CliveStaples Wrote: This is the laziest counterargument I've ever seen.

How dare you. I put, at most, half as much effort into my reply.

Conceded.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
Quote:It's just a slightly-rephrased version of "The Bible isn't true",

Except archaeology has demonstrated that your fucking bible isn't true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 909 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who or what is "Nature's god" BananaFlambe 26 1830 December 4, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2757 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2893 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3738 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18312 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Anyone see gods not dead? Thegoodatheist 76 29509 March 13, 2021 at 11:07 am
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1408 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2100 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Nature comes first Rahn127 69 7317 February 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath