Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature?
Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature?
Here is the thing: I have, past topics of mine here, I talked about things like how God could not exist and other things. Based on what I may have said in those topics; and all of what I have said, plus some new things included; nature, reality and science, the way they are made (especially nature and reality in terms of how they are made) seemingly dictate our lives, as well as how everything works. Back when the first religion was thought of, humans did not understand much or anything about how nature, science and reality worked and did not understand much about why things were the way they were. Now, in the past on this forum, I believe I said religion and God were ways to escape reality, and by extent, nature and maybe science. Now, I am thinking there is a bit more to it than just that...

I mean, the supernatural, God supposedly answering prayers and working miracles and supposedly stepping in to help people through some divine intervention, possibly making things happen when they shouldn't because they defy physics, nature, reality; as I also may have said, humans need someone to look up to, even if they are not real. With that said, to me, it seems like looking up to such an imaginary being, a supreme being, is a way for humans to not only escape reality, but to try to get away from how reality/nature/science work or dictate things as well as avoid things that are true just because those people can't just accept the reality of things, and want some way to get out of it, sometimes desperately.

So my question is...

Do you all think God and religion are ways to say "screw you", or better yet, "fuck you" to the likes of science, nature and/or reality and how it works and all?
RE: Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature?
(January 7, 2024 at 5:12 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Here is the thing: I have, past topics of mine here, I talked about things like how God could not exist and other things. Based on what I may have said in those topics; and all of what I have said, plus some new things included; nature, reality and science, the way they are made (especially nature and reality in terms of how they are made) seemingly dictate our lives, as well as how everything works. Back when the first religion was thought of, humans did not understand much or anything about how nature, science and reality worked and did not understand much about why things were the way they were. Now, in the past on this forum, I believe I said religion and God were ways to escape reality, and by extent, nature and maybe science. Now, I am thinking there is a bit more to it than just that...

I mean, the supernatural, God supposedly answering prayers and working miracles and supposedly stepping in to help people through some divine intervention, possibly making things happen when they shouldn't because they defy physics, nature, reality; as I also may have said, humans need someone to look up to, even if they are not real. With that said, to me, it seems like looking up to such an imaginary being, a supreme being, is a way for humans to not only escape reality, but to try to get away from how reality/nature/science work or dictate things as well as avoid things that are true just because those people can't just accept the reality of things, and want some way to get out of it, sometimes desperately.

So my question is...

Do you all think God and religion are ways to say "screw you", or better yet, "fuck you" to the likes of science, nature and/or reality and how it works and all?

No.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not at all.

The early hoomans who invented their gods, knew nothing of such matters.
(January 7, 2024 at 5:12 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Here is the thing: I have, past topics of mine here, I talked about things like how God could not exist and other things. Based on what I may have said in those topics; and all of what I have said, plus some new things included; nature, reality and science, the way they are made (especially nature and reality in terms of how they are made) seemingly dictate our lives, as well as how everything works. Back when the first religion was thought of, humans did not understand much or anything about how nature, science and reality worked and did not understand much about why things were the way they were. Now, in the past on this forum, I believe I said religion and God were ways to escape reality, and by extent, nature and maybe science. Now, I am thinking there is a bit more to it than just that...

So my question is...

No.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 7, 2024 at 5:14 pm)no one Wrote: Not at all.

(January 7, 2024 at 5:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

So my question is...

No.

Boru

I think I do see your points, but on a certain part of the original post on this topic, I think I should clarify...

Reality is harsh often, and lets a lot of bad things happen to people, which said people do not like. I personally think though that religion and God are ways to get around that to try and be happy. Well, it is one way, but even today, some people are not accustomed to those bad things happening and the harshness of reality.

Though I am also trying to understand things, so to ask...

Would God and religion not be considered a way to say "fuck" you to the negative parts of reality, at the least?

...Even if it is probably not the whole story as to why people tend to try and avoid bad things?

By bad, I am also talking about things that are bad, but can be learned from, used to improve ourselves with, etc. I just don't think there is at least a high amount of people who want to go through bad things even if it can help them. I could be wrong, of course, so do help me understand.
It was fear, ignorance, and arrogance that led to the creation of gods. It wasn't so much a conscious choice to disregard or oppose nature, as it was pompous presumptions driven by misconceptions of a world that was frightening and confusing.
(January 7, 2024 at 5:39 pm)no one Wrote: It was fear, ignorance, and arrogance that led to the creation of gods. It wasn't so much a conscious choice to disregard or oppose nature, as it was pompous presumptions driven by misconceptions of a world that was frightening and confusing.

Thanks for helping me understand. Still, I could have thought fear, ignorance and arrogance would tie in with the choice to disregard nature, but that is irrelevant now. I mean, what I was initially asking was just one possibility, but I also know the three things you said; fear, ignorance and arrogance would also lead to the creation of gods.

What do you mean by "conscious choice", though?
As the species evolved, so did their arrogant take on their existence. They didn't sit around constructing a dear John letter to nature. Their self recognized importance convinced them they had a special place.
(January 7, 2024 at 5:28 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(January 7, 2024 at 5:14 pm)no one Wrote: Not at all.

(January 7, 2024 at 5:13 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: No.

Boru

I think I do see your points, but on a certain part of the original post on this topic, I think I should clarify...

Reality is harsh often, and lets a lot of bad things happen to people, which said people do not like. I personally think though that religion and God are ways to get around that to try and be happy. Well, it is one way, but even today, some people are not accustomed to those bad things happening and the harshness of reality.

Would God and religion not be considered a way to say "fuck" you to the negative parts of reality, at the least?

...Even if it is probably not the whole story as to why people tend to try and avoid bad things?

By bad, I am also talking about things that are bad, but can be learned from, used to improve ourselves with, etc. I just don't think there is at least a high amount of people who want to go through bad things even if it can help them. I could be wrong, of course, so do help me understand.

(Bold mine)

That’s quite a different question than the one you originally asked, but I’d still have to say ‘no’.

I’d say that rather than a ‘fuck you’ to bad things, religion is more of a coping mechanism. If it were truly a ‘fuck you’, then believers wouldn’t care when bad things happen to them or others. Religion is a fumbling attempt to deal with why bad things happen, not to shrug them off.

To expand on my answer to your earlier question, the great majority of religions try to cope with and understand nature, not to tell it to go fuck itself.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 7, 2024 at 6:00 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 7, 2024 at 5:28 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: I think I do see your points, but on a certain part of the original post on this topic, I think I should clarify...

(Bold mine)

That’s quite a different question than the one you originally asked, but I’d still have to say ‘no’.

I’d say that rather than a ‘fuck you’ to bad things, religion is more of a coping mechanism. If it were truly a ‘fuck you’, then believers wouldn’t care when bad things happen to them or others. Religion is a fumbling attempt to deal with why bad things happen, not to shrug them off.

To expand on my answer to your earlier question, the great majority of religions try to cope with and understand nature, not to tell it to go fuck itself.

Boru

I see. Thanks for explaining.

Though on the bolded part, I guess that second question was more so what I was trying to ask, but failed to ultimately address in the initial post for some reason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4045 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1086 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who or what is "Nature's god" BananaFlambe 26 1826 December 4, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My views on God and religion ShinyCrystals 72 4390 October 30, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2878 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4242 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3200 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Nature comes first Rahn127 69 7293 February 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Amending my Good and Kindly ways The Valkyrie 27 5085 September 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I'm sick of hearing about the "Five Ways"! Asmodee 46 7850 January 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: robvalue