Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Positive claims and atheists
Positive claims and atheists
People keep calling God an imaginary friend, a myth, and saying that believing in Him is like believing in Batman. However, by the standard of evidence that atheists seem to require of me, they say that positive claims require positive evidence. Now, saying that believing in God is like believing in Batman is a positive claim, so I ask, where is the evidence?
RE: Positive claims and atheists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KayBys8gaJY

Watch, remove head from sphincter, then talk.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There exists a five legged monkey that rides backwards on a unicorn through an enchanted forrest playing Mozart with cricket legs.

If you do not believe in such an entity, provide evidence for its non-existence.
How dare you Cato! He lives in my closet! Prove me wrong!

Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(July 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote: People keep calling God an imaginary friend, a myth, and saying that believing in Him is like believing in Batman. However, by the standard of evidence that atheists seem to require of me, they say that positive claims require positive evidence. Now, saying that believing in God is like believing in Batman is a positive claim, so I ask, where is the evidence?

Our evidence for that claim is the fact of your utter failure and refusal to provide even a shred of evidence for your extraordinary positive claim of the existence of your fairy tale monster.

/fucking thread
No proof for Batman, no proof for God. That is the similarity being pointed out in this comparison, they are on par plausibility wise.
Of course, you already knew this didn't you? So may I ask why you chose to waste everyones time by creating a thread that could easily be answered in a sentence and a half? Do you think the people who see this thread will bother to look at others you create considering just how tedious a standard you have just set?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
You claim that a god exists without offering so much as a single reason to believe that claim is true. Well... I don't believe you, as I have never encountered a reason to.

It's as simple as that and you can't believe how many times I have typed it.
(July 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote: People keep calling God an imaginary friend, a myth, and saying that believing in Him is like believing in Batman. However, by the standard of evidence that atheists seem to require of me, they say that positive claims require positive evidence. Now, saying that believing in God is like believing in Batman is a positive claim, so I ask, where is the evidence?

Jeff,

None of the statements in your OP are positive claims; they are simply unflatering characterizations of a belief in God. Were an atheist to make the claim, "God does not exist" They would invite the burden of proof and would have to proove the non-existence of God. This is why intellectually honest atheists adopt an agnostic stance towards God and simply reject the belief as an unprovable claim.
(July 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm)Jeffonthenet Wrote: People keep calling God an imaginary friend, a myth,
Your definition of god? You've yet to present that before we can call it imaginary, until you do, you have worse than a fictional non-entity, you have nothing.

Quote:and saying that believing in Him is like believing in Batman.
No one has ever said that because that's asinine. Batman and an almighty sky daddy aren't even in the same plane of thought! Batman does not use any magical bullshit superpowers. He uses his brains and physical prowess to combat criminals and organised crime syndicates.

When you think about it, Batman as a concept, is WAY more plausible than magic man.

Now provide evidence of your silly concept or go away.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2...me-batman/

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayaan Hirsi Ali now claims to be Christian. Brian37 26 1680 November 17, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1933 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6270 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Scary claims of God's punishments debunk_pls 30 4024 September 24, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4479 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25858 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5513 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Evidence for atheist claims Wryetui 629 73205 June 10, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: madog
  Margaret Atwood claims atheism is a religion Foxaèr 36 9887 July 11, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Metis