Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism feels shunned...
Atheism feels shunned...
Hey,

I just wanted to show you this thing I found. I find it offensive and disrespectful, so may be we can agree now?
Thanks,
-Pip

Click Here
RE: Atheism feels shunned...
I agree and disagree. I think it is disrespecting to say "We don't approve of anyone being an atheist. God is great and it doesn't matter which religion you believe in. The important thing is to believe.".

I find the concept of the game show quite amusing though, and I think it would be a laugh. It all depends on whether they actually select atheists or people pretending to be atheists, or people who are simply apathetic about their atheism.

I hope it ends up with none of them being converted; the arguments of the theists being destroyed. That would be a little on par with this show:
[youtube]qNoX0XKUZlk[/youtube]
A rationalist leader challenged India's most "powerful" tantrik to kill him using only tantrik magic on live tv. The guy patiently stood there for hours...and survived Big Grin
Well, I doubt they would use strong atheists like us, so it will be a show about how awesome the religious guys are since they can convert the atheist. And since the prize is a trip to a religious area depending on your religion, there's no way for an atheist to win, so it sounds like a horrible idea. But it's Turkey. The only other country below us when it comes to believing in creationism.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Might be kind of intresting if they changed the format to 4 religious leaders and an important atheist (Dawkins?) and the 10 contestents were split into two Christians, two Jews etc.
Make it Hitchens and it would get really interesting.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Pip,

I actually approve of the convictions I see in this statement "We don't approve of anyone being an atheist. God is great and it doesn't matter which religion you believe in. The important thing is to believe,[sic]" It seems that nobody wants to judge anymore and I think we should judge because it is part and parcel to the human condition to seek truth and then share it. I do find it offensive but at least it is an honest statement.

Adrian,

Nice video, I wish it was translated so I could learn the meaning behind the deadly mantra. I know why he didn't die...

I was praying for him during the video and God is timeless, ergo I retroactivly saved him proving the existence of God and the power of prayer. Cool Shades

Pay no atention to my religious afilliation at the top of this post.

I would love to see that show! When I was a Christian I learned to steer clear of Atheists because, as I thought back then, they have a block against seeing the mystical so it was a waste to try and convert them. All my arguments were rooted in how comforting the idea of being saved in the afterlife felt. Oh well, pap is pap.

Rhizo
I'd fake conversion to Judaism for a free trip to Jerusalem Devil
"Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw" - David Mitchell
(July 5, 2009 at 4:18 pm)Pippy Wrote: Hey,

I just wanted to show you this thing I found. I find it offensive and disrespectful, so may be we can agree now?
Thanks,
-Pip

Click Here

Disrespectful? To me as an atheist? No,I don't identify as atheist belonging to a group with common characteristics. As far as I 'm concerned the ONLY thing atheists share as a group is a non belief in god(s).

Disrespectful in principle? Yes,to anyone who has the audacity to disagee with those dropkicks.

Offended? NO. More amused/bemused. What if I was offended? So what? No one,including me,has the right not to be offended. I find reality TV offensive as well as most American sitcoms,so I don't watch them.

It occurs to me that possibility of fraud would be high.

Thought for today "Beware of self righteous indignation;it has a nasty habit of biting you on the arse" (Tarquin St John Shagnasty)

PS:
Quote:I'd fake conversion to Judaism for a free trip to Jerusalem

SNAP
Hey,

I am pleased you are not disrespected or offended. Than I guess, alas, we cannot agree... I think that it is only fair. If I ask you guys not to act like you hold all truth in your hand, and I feel I should hold the other side as accountable. My main point is that we are not sure, or at least cannot agree in total about such questions as the existence of god. So at the very least we should not act arrogant and foolishly, treating either theists or atheists as less human or less worthy than ourselves just for disagreeing. That can lead to some terrible things.

I don't believe in Atheism, but I defend your right too. I know we just covered rights, but it is not a government sanctioned piece of fluff. If I demand the right to think freely, than I have a responsibility to offer that right to you all.

I thought I could show you guys that I am being a little more rational and logical than you may think. Although I doubt you will concur.

Thanks,
-Pip
Pippy Wrote:I thought I could show you guys that I am being a little more rational and logical than you may think. Although I doubt you will concur.

Maybe, maybe not. Not absolutely eitherway on my case anyway, methinks. I certainly don't think God exists and I disagree strongly on your views on the Chemo Thread, etc...

But I think I can find perhaps some common ground. I do respect/agree with the following of your post for example:

(July 9, 2009 at 7:25 am)Pippy Wrote: So at the very least we should not act arrogant and foolishly, treating either theists or atheists as less human or less worthy than ourselves just for disagreeing. That can lead to some terrible things.

- Respect and agreed.

Quote:I don't believe in Atheism, but I defend your right too. I know we just covered rights, but it is not a government sanctioned piece of fluff. If I demand the right to think freely, than I have a responsibility to offer that right to you all.

- & Respect there.

- I offer the same 'right(s)' to you too. I on the other hand am an atheist, but I respect your right to your beliefs as you say you do mine. I don't respect your beliefs themselves though. Because I can't help but think they're ridiculous - I have my own strongly held reasons that I in fact do believe your beliefs are ridiculous. I do. respect your 'right' to hold them though as I said Smile

So I guess there is some common ground eh? I do think you are illogical/irrational in many ways though. I'm not saying you're necessarily stupid though, I just think at least your religious beliefs are. Despite the fact I respect your 'right(s)' to 'hold them'.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm now a paid up member of the CFI - Feels Ace! Duty 9 945 December 22, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27114 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12472 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12150 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  True believer, good feels, meaning and masochism. tor 4 1818 March 22, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38080 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack